Minimum requirements for MP3 server

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_Fr, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Doug_Fr

Doug_Fr Extra

I want to set up a dedicated MP3 server. I'm not overly handy, so I'd prefer to buy "off the shelf." I want a 120G HD and a soundcard with optical digital out to plug into my processor. But, because I don't have a ton of money, what is the reasonable minimum I need for processor and memory? Any recommendations on vendor for quality/price - Dell, HP, Compaq, emachines?
    Any and all suggestions (other than build my own computer) welcome.

Thanks

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Playing MP3s is not a very difficult task. You will not need to spend a lot of money, if that is to be the sole purpose of this computer. The lowest-end CPU you can find, with 128MB of memory, will be fine.

Make sure you get a computer with the SoundBlaster Audigy sound card. I believe they all have digital outputs.

As far as which brand...Dell, Gateway, HP, and Compaq are all good names. You won't go wrong with any of them. Compaqs tend to be a little more expensive. Dell has good customer service.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I'd suggest a better soundcard still (not that the Audigys stink on ice like the Soundblaster cards used to, but even so).
    The M-Audio Audiophile for instance, at M-Audio's website
    This is also a rather interesting approach; you can use your existing computer and a network card and use theSlimp3 as the playback device at your hifi. No fans, no noise, remote control... very cool, IMHO. Probably getting one of these myself.

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Sorry, I'm only familiar with general-purpose products, and for general purposes, the Audigy is the best sound card you can buy right now. The one you mentioned is probably better for some specialty applications, I guess. Oh, and that quote from Ronan Macdonald in the middle of the page is comparing that card to the SoundBlaster Live!, not the SoundBlaster Audigy, which actually shares some of this card's specs, unlike the Live! (like 24-bit 96kHz converting).
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a nice card, I'm just not sure it's worth the price. $230 compared to $100 for an SB Audigy MP3+...especially when Doug_Fr is going to be using a digital output, meaning that the audio gets converted to digital by the same type of D/A converter in either card. Plus, Doug_Fr wants a pre-built system, and I highly doubt this card comes in any system from any of the vendors he's looking at, especially in his mentioned price range.
    BTW, which SoundBlaster card were you referring to: "not that the Audigys stink on ice like the Soundblaster cards used to"?

5. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

As far as the computer, I ran an mp3 server for a while off a 90 mhz Pentium with 32mb ram. It was jut a test to see if I would use it much. Worked fine for the mp3's.]

To answer your original question, you do not need much speed/memory to do this.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I meant the live! and below. They didn't necessarily stink from a gamers point of view but the stats for the SB16's etc weren't that impressive. They were however the standard at the time... and I've admittedly owned several SB cards myself for gaming purposes.

Granted, $230 for just mp3's might be overkill (even if you do get a great sound card that will work wonderfully in a HTPC for instance). In fact, I think a computer for MP3's is overkill, which is why I mentioned the Slimp3 instead.

7. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

For games, the Audigy is the best. But when it comes to high end, high quality, audio (music) the M-Audio is king. There's no arguing that.

But I don't think it would be necessary if you're just playing MP3's on it. If you were ripping full uncompressed CD's... that would be a different story.

Peter