Minimum recommended speed for new CD Burner purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Sep 30, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, im thinking of getting a burner to replace my Mitsumi 4804TE (4x4x24x) that has served me well for almost three years now.

I was wondering what speed I should get AT LEAST for today's standards..

24x? 32x? 40x? Is there CDMedia fast enough to go to like 32x without errors nowadays?

Im looking to spend about $70-$80 CAD (about $46-$53 USD).

Some brands i found are LG, LiteOn, AOpen, and BenQ at this price range. Anything wrong wiht any of these manufacturers?

Thanks

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

LiteOn is really good in my experience. Speed doesn't really matter too much if you get a recent model. The quality of the burn is more important! [​IMG]
    16x or faster for CDR burning is probably all you can get new anyways. The slower burners likely have already been retired from production!

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah but like minimum what do you think i should get? at least 24x and anyhting higher is overkill? or 32x and 24 is like old technology? or 40x even?

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Get what you can for the money you are willing to spend. Since you dont have a large budget its not like money is not an option so get the fastest burner that does a good job (Lite-on is probably the best of the choices you mentioned).

KyleS

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Pretty much everything above 24x is overkill. At those burn speeds, I doubt that the CD-Rs you make will work on older PCs and older CD players!
    Given that, if you're concerned about support, then you might want to get something slightly newer than an "old" 24x, like a 32x. Although, my understanding is that they are more-or-less the same.
    A DVD burner is a totally different thing all together though. I don't trust them yet. [​IMG]
    Hey, I like the advice in that other CD burner thread though...you got some locals helping you there. [​IMG]

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    hehehe yup.. but i needed some more specific info on burners, so i started a new one. So a 32x will be adequate enough right?

Well It seems in the 32x speed, Aopen, BenQ and LG are the cheaper ones, with LiteOn being a bit more expensive. But i've heard great things from LiteOn drives.

The other thread loosk like that LG isnt that bad either. I dont really care about a half minte or so speed difference between drives, i just want reliability, hoping itll last me another three years :p)

7. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Newegg.com is having a one-day sale on the LiteOn LTR40125S for $53 shipped.
    it is a 40x write, 12x re-write 48x read drive.
    Jeff

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Thanks for the link jeff, but i really dont wanna bother with ordering online since its just about as cheap B&M OEM locally than online.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'd think features vs. speed.

i think it's probably more important that (if possible) you get a burner that has some sort of "burn-proof" technology.

i mean, will it really kill you to wait an additional two minutes? my 24x burner (when copying from the hd) can do a whole cd in approximately 3 minutes. but it has that burn-proof stuff - so i'm more or less guaranteed of a solid burn.

i'd rather have that reassurance and wait a couple more minutes.

btw - i hear cendyne (sp) is also pretty inexpensive and reliable.

10. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I bought a Lite-On 40x/12x/48x saturday... Today I found some 48x capable blanks... I'll test recording at 40x as soon as the Red Hat 8.0 ISOs finish downloading!

11. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I'll agree with Max Leung. Anything over 24x is overkill.

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How would you put those CDRW manufacturers (BenQ, AOpen, Acer, LiteOn, LG)in order in terms of quality/reliability?

13. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I have a Aopen CDRW2040. It has presented numerous problems in a few cases - when downloading from some cds it produces horrible buzzing noise and sometimes goes off track, leaving visible scratches around the preimeter of the cd.

I wish it offered me an option to extract at a slower, less stressful speed..

When I spent time on their customer discussion site trying to understand burner problems I got quite discouraged. Many tales of woe, and no visible help from Aopen

Another problem is it (Aopen) turns out to be inconcompatible with a more sophisticated burning software I wanted to use, and I have to restrect myself to what the Nero that came with the PC does.

I agree with those who say hi-speeds are over-rated anyway.

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

BenQ and Acer are the same company. From some experience I'd say LiteOn is tops of the list, LG pretty good and I've never had a good experience with Acer (although that was a long time ago).

Overkill is going to be different for everyone. For me, I'd start at 24x and probably settle at 24x. It used to take me 2 hours to burn a CD, now at 16x times is takes about 6 minutes. 24x takes a little over 4 minutes, 30x and 32x is just going to shave a bit more off of that. As with CD read speeds, we're really into the land of diminishing returns (I mean, how many of us actually notice a difference between a 40x and 52x CDROM drive?) I'm sure once we get to the point where we can burn a CD in a matter a seconds, that 4 minutes is going to seem slow. But right now.... it's just a minute. If a minute is worth the extra money, then get a faster driver. If it doesn't matter, save your cash and buy an extra spindle of CDs instead.

You're upgrading from a 4x (I upgraded from a 2x) so just about any of the current drives are going to seem like they scream through the burn.