Minimum distance to corner?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredV, Jan 19, 2003.

1. FredV

FredV Agent

I have a room (13 X 24 X 8) in which I'd like to place a CS-plus 20-39 sub; what is the minimum distance I can place this in the corner (i.e. minimumm distance from side and back wall)?

2. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure the math could be done, and using the proper spl meter and spectrum analyzer you could find the theoretical best location for your sub. However, there is nothing wrong with experimenting with the placement until the sound is to your liking. Try it a few different places near the corner, and you'll hear the one which sounds the best to you.

I am using a Servo-15, and because of space limitations in the room (a temporary h/t room), I have the sub in the front left corner about 5 inches from both walls. The sound is actually not boomy at all. My room is about 16X25X10 and open to the kitchen.

You may find that with your CS you can be pretty close to the walls without too much degradation in sound quality. Generally, the closer to the wall, the deeper and possibly the boomier the bass. I'm guessing most would agree that more accurate bass comes from placing the sub away from the walls.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can put the sub as close as 1" to the walls.

As James points out, if you do this in a corner, this gives the entire length of both walls for the sub to use in reflecting sound into the room. And that entire distance (sub-to-end-of-walls) will have some base x1 x2 x4 frequency that will get some artifical enhancement.

This is why against a long wall is fine, but a 1/3, or 3/5 placement may be better than directly in the corner.