What's new

Minimum distance from electrical wires? (2 Viewers)

BrianBbb

Agent
Because of the shape of the room and existing construction my speaker placement options are somewhat limited; what is the minimum distance that external wall mounted speakers should be from electrical cables (inside the wall)? How about the minimum distance for the speaker wire itself from electrical cables?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Am I understanding you correctly that your speakers and cables will both be on the outside of the wall? If so, I really don't think you need to be concerned about interference.

BrianBbb

Agent
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The walls are currently open and I redid all of the electrical wiring. The electrical wiring is inside the wall and the speakers will be on the outside. One point has quite a few electrical cables running into it as there are three light switchs there. How far does my speaker need to be from this in order to ensure no interference? Also how far from the electrical wiring should the speaker wire (inside the wall) be?

Thanks in advance.:)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s not a problem for speakers to be near electrical wiring. I think you’re confusing this with keeping speaker wires away from electrical cabling – i.e., running speaker wire parallel with electrical wiring.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianBbb

Agent
Ok for the speakers. How about the speaker wire? How far away does that need to be if run parallel? How about if you're just crossing an electrical cable at a 90 degree angle?

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I have been told that crossing at 90 degrees will not effect the wire, but a parrallel run is not a good idea. I was also told to keep at least a stud between the electrical outlet and the speaker wire outlet.

There might be some alternatives like putting a conduit in. This would sheild the wires from each other.

Marc

Avoid parallel runs with electical wire. Recommend crossing at 90 degree angles. I would try to stay 1 foot away if parallel cannot be avoided (not more than a few feet).

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
That's a bit impossible with my setup Richard. 13 components, 7.1 & 2 ch speaker system (5 of those biamped) pre-power system with 6 poweramps. All of these cables are dangling right next to each other (video, mains, audio, digital, speaker) no problems at all. There's a slight hiss (audible at 1') but that's it. :-D

If I had all cables going 90' at each other, each all 1' away the whole floor would be taken up with cables!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks