MiniDV Cam Problems.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Hamilton, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

First off, I apologize if I have posted this in an incorrect forum. Moderators feel free to lock or move this thread. ^_^

Now, my problem. I bought a Canon ZR60 MiniDV camera and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. The video captured, especially in brightly lit areas, is astonishingly sharp and well saturated. The ability to do straight digital "captures" via IEEE 1394 Firewire makes for some gorgeous completed projects.

Recently I dragged the camera off to a big car show and shot about an hour's worth of footage without problem. But when I got home and started to play back the footage on my television I noticed the image suffered from tremendous artifacting/blocking/pixelation. Effectively it was unuseable. I was extremely dissapointed and just assumed I had purchased a defective tape. I tried another new tape and ran into the same problems. I then tried to play back a tape I had recorded, without incident, prior to this problem popping up. Well the old tape displayed the same artifacting/blocking/pixelation that tape I recorded at the car show did. GRRR.

I'm not sure where to proceed. This camera is one month old and I'v only used it three times. Some people have suggested I try a head cleaner, but I'm not sure if dirt/dust would be the problem on such a new device.

Any help or ideas you guys can contribute would be a big help! Thanks as always! [​IMG]

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Since it's only one month old, have you tried calling Canon? Your camera is under warranty; hear what they suggest before you do any weird tinkering yourself.

3. Mark Hamilton

Canon offered no advice on the phone other than I should package it up and pay to ship it to them (insured) at my own expense. They also warned that if they found no problem or it was something simple like dirty heads that I could be facing a bill.

4. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Mark, this is typical of Canon cameras. Your heads need to be re-aligned.

A friend of mine has a Canon with the same problem. I recorded some video with it and played it back just fine on his Canon. However, when I tried to play it back on my new Sony, it was worthless - choppy, lots of drop-outs, etc, due to the misaligned heads.

Also, video that he recorded when he first bought the Canon (when the heads were right) will play fine on my Sony. It won't play on his Canon now that they have shifted.

I recommend returning it and buying another brand. Sony and Panasonic seem to be very popular and don't suffer from as many issues.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Oh, and your car show tape? It will probably play fine on a different camera. This is assuming your heads became mis-aligned after the footage was taken, which is consistent with what you said (your old tapes having the same problem - they, too, should play back fine on another camera).

7. Mark Hamilton

Thanks guys!

Ryan, you are absaloutely correct! I just called Canon Canada and talked to an English Customer Service Rep this time and he pretty much agreed entirely with what you said. It sounded very much like this is a common Canon issue. He, like you, even suggested that it was prolly only the read head that was at fault.

I'm outside my 30 day return window so unfortunetly I can't take this camera back now. [​IMG]

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Note to self: don't buy Canon miniDV cams. That sucks the heads got misaligned right after the warranty period! [​IMG]

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Canon makes some of the best prosumer models. Just don't buy the consumer

The XL-1S and GL-1 are great

10. Mark Hamilton

When it works, the image quality certainly passed my expectations. But if this mis-aligned heads is going to be an ongoing issue I'm going to be angry. Fortunetly I purchased the extended service plan through Future Shop so they will have to deal with it next time it happens. [​IMG]