Minidisc won't let digital coax signal pass through from new DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Campbell, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Paul Campbell

I used to have an "old" second generation Toshiba DVD player with the digital coax running through my Sony MDS-JB940, so I could record onto minidisk from the DVD player, or let the signal pass through to my Sony ES STR-DA777ES receiver for surround processing, through another digital coax cable coming from the minidisk player.

Because of problems with my Toshiba associated with such old DVD players, I got a new Sharp DV-S2 (the one with the Faroudja DCDi), and now when I press the record button on the minidisk player to start the passthrough to the receiver, the left and right signal strength indicators on the minidisk player max out and sort of flicker, and nothing happens. When I connect the DVD player directly to the receiver I have no problems. When could possibly have changed between the two players that could cause this problem? i can't think of anything that could differ between the bitstreams of two different DVD player that would cause such confusion. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Any chance of a loose connection (the digital coax going to the minidisc player)?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, like Marvin, I wonder if you have a loose connection somewhere between the two components. At any point, did you have to yank the coaxial digital cable hard to release it from the minidisc player? Perhaps there is something wrong with the coaxial digital input.

4. Paul Campbell

Actually, I don't think there is a problem with the connection, and I should have mentioned this, because I am stilll able to play normal CDs on the DVD player through the minidisk pplayer and into the receiver, so I don't think that is the problem. It almost seems like the minidisk player gets overloaded when I play anything with more than two channels.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, wait a second. I thought you were only connecting the DVD player to the minidisc player to record CDs to minidiscs. Are you running the DVD player to the minidisc player to play 5.1 DVDs? You said:

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What you're doing should only work with PCM Stereo signals. It should not work with any 5.1 proprietary format (DD, DTS).

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Another point to ponder....

Even if you set your DVD Player to downmix the DD/DTS to PCM, you likey will NOT be able to record it with you MD player because most DVD software sets the SCMS flag (completely improperly, IMHO) to Can Not Record.

I discovered that a while back when I got a CD recorder. I was trying to record the audio from the Madonna video on Austin Powers II (or is it One?), and my CD recorder would not record it.

A total misuse of the SCMS system, in my view.

BGL

8. Paul Campbell

The only time I record from the DVD player is when I record a normal CD. The problem is that when I tell the minidisc player to let the digital bitstream pass through it for decoding and playback in my receiver (for watching movies), I get nothing. I was able to do it with the Toshiba, but now the minidisk acts as though it is being overloaded just to pass the digital signal through.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Paul,

Are you 100% absolutely certain that the old configuration with the Toshiba DVD was actually yielding 5.1?

I would bet dollars to donuts that the minidisc player could only recognize, and therefor only pass through, SPDIF formatted signals. In which case, it sounds pretty likely that the old Sony player was set to downconvert in the menu, and was converting DD/DTS 5.1 and 2.0 signals to PCM 2.0 signals- which the Minidisc could handle. Which means you were never passing DD signals, rather 2 channel PCM from the player.

Have you tried going into the setup menu on the new Sharp and changing the DD and DTS settings to PCM conversion instead of bitstream? Try that and see if it goes back to the way it used to work- if so I'd say your old player was never properly configured for 5.1 (as many, especially older players, come default set to pass PCM).

Do you still have the old player around? I'd also double check by breaking that one back out and testing with each audio setting (PCM and Bitstream) and seeing if bitstream worked on the old one.

-vince