Minidisc w/Macintosh

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott*CB, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Scott*CB

Scott*CB Extra

Since I've moved from my apartment sized minisystem to a component HT setup I don't have any recording capability. Instead of picking up a tape deck, I've been looking into going with a portable MD that I can hook up to my computer or just dump straight from my CD player.

I understand that the Sony NetND software is a real dog and is only PC compatible so I can't use it anyway. Will the hardware work at all with a Mac. Are there any other workaround programs that will work with the USB port (iTunes?) on the MD and my Mac or do I have to just use real time transfer from another component? I read something about RealOnePlayer but I don't understand the alphabet soup of computer music formats (ATRAC, MP3, LP2, LP4, wav, etc...)

MD sounds like a great medium but I may have to just stick with cassettes or get a CD burner.

2. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

I do not know whether Virtual PC will actually work with the Open MG Jukebox, but VPC on the Mac does include USB device support, so it is possible. Note that OpenMG can be a real hardware hog, especially when importing MP3s or when ripping a CD. Encoding to ATRAC3 seems to take a hugeamount of CPU power. You don't have to use OpenMG Jukebox; you can use "simple burner" which will rip a CD (all or any of it) directly into the MD using NetMD. No copy protection check-in/check-out to worry about if you use that utility. The only caveat is that you need an actual audio CD to rip whenever you use it (doesn't store songs on the computer as OpenMG does).

MD is certainly not useless without a PC, but it is somewhat less useful. Until a while ago, there was no NetMD, and all recording to MD was done in real time. That is what you are left with if you can't use NetMD and OpenMG Jukebox. I would recommend getting a USB audio adapter with an S/PDIF optical output so that you can transfer audio off the Mac digitally.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Scott, Do you have an iPod? If not, you should look into one.

4. Scott*CB

Scott*CB Extra

Mark, thanks for the suggestion but I'm primarily looking for a recording solution for my CDs with removable media (tape deck or alternative). I'm not much into mp3s because the file share programs for Mac (LimeWire, etc.) don't work very well. I also want something I can hook up to my car.

Besides, iPods are a good deal more expensive than the portable MDs or cassette decks.

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

6. MattJP

MattJP Agent

The best program for MP3's on Mac (in my opinion) is Drumbeat. You should check it out.
    I have a portable MD player, a component deck MD player, and an iPOD...guess which get way more use...the iPOD. I am not into downloading MP3's that much either but I have almost my entire cd collection encoded (around 1000 cd's...of course I cant fit it all on an iPod...but I can fit about 6 days of music on it). iTunes and the iPod are a powerfull duo, and much more efficient that the MD route (for you application).
    I would be willing to bet that within the next 30 days apple will be announcing 10g, 20g, and 40g iPods...which means you can pick up a 5g dirt cheap...or pay about 300 buck for the 10g version.
    Anyway, it is an option you should look into.

For what it's worth...
    -matt

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Sony used to make a combination CD / MD component stereo deck. It could record an entire CD onto MD at 4x speed. I saw people claim that it slowed down to 1x if you did track-by-track recording.