What's new

Minidisc NetMD question (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If I have a NetMD recorder hooked up to my PC, can I use the PC connection for titling previously recorded discs? That is, can I stick an old disc in it and edit titles via the USB connection? I don't want to have to dump new recordings on to the disc just to use the titling function...

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

Yes, althought I've never tried an old disc that wasn't recorded with with the player (I don't have one) I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work.

-Aaron

Allan_Lim

Agent
Michael, I'm considering buying a netMD player.

Could you do a follow up post when you know this does or does not work?

Thanks

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Allan,

I will but it might be a couple of months from now.

I did see a quick review of the 'burner' (not the OpenMG checkout thing) software for NetMD that said you can use it for titling after the fact. However, I'm not sure if you can use it for discs that are not NetMD formatted, contain true SP audio, etc.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

The discs made with the netmd software are normal MDLP mini discs... They will play in any player that has MDLP capability, and you can even (with a little work) write SP audio to the mini disc (it's just upconverted MDLP 2 audio though). There shouldn't be any reason that you can't retitle current mini discs with the software.

Everything is backwards compatible, NetMD is really just a new quicker way of getting audio from a computer to a mini disc.

-Aaron

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

If there is nothing different about a NetMD disc, why can one not delete a track from an unprotected disc if it was written with NetMD?

Allan_Lim

Agent
That's one of the stupid restrictions of OpenMG. If you delete the track then you can't check it back into OpenMG which only allows 3 checkouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.