Miniature stero amp/receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MattDL, Jun 23, 2004.

1. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

I have a pair of Paradigm on-wall Mini-Monitors, and I am looking for an amp or receiver to drive them that doesn't take up alot of space. Ideally, it should be less than 9 inches wide and 4 inches tall, but the smaller the better. The power should be in the 30 to 60 Watt range (into 8 ohms). The only control I need is volume adjustment. The input will be from a PC sound card, so all other audio adjustments can be made from the PC.

Does such a device exist? I have Googled 'miniature stereo amplifier' and only came up with some piece of crap RCA that puts out like 5W.

Thanks in advance oh wise A/V gurus.

2. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

I have a pair of Paradigm on-wall Mini-Monitors, and I am looking for an amp or receiver to drive them that doesn't take up alot of space. Ideally, it should be less than 9 inches wide and 4 inches tall, but the smaller the better. The power should be in the 30 to 60 Watt range (into 8 ohms). The only control I need is volume adjustment. The input will be from a PC sound card, so all other audio adjustments can be made from the PC.

Does such a device exist? I have Googled 'miniature stereo amplifier' and only came up with some piece of crap RCA that puts out like 5W.

Thanks in advance oh wise A/V gurus.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hey, that RCA, formerly Realistic and Optimus-branded, is not bad for background music.

Depends on your budget, TEAC makes the
    AH-500 stereo integrated amp in their Reference 500 series. The British hi-fi press love it.

If you want to go full separates, then Parasound offers the Zamp compact power amp and the matching P/HP-850 stereo pre-amp.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hey, that RCA, formerly Realistic and Optimus-branded, is not bad for background music.

Depends on your budget, TEAC makes the
    AH-500 stereo integrated amp in their Reference 500 series. The British hi-fi press love it.

If you want to go full separates, then Parasound offers the Zamp compact power amp and the matching P/HP-850 stereo pre-amp.

5. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

yep. I was going to suggest the Teac unit.....they are awsome...I may get one for my living room

6. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

yep. I was going to suggest the Teac unit.....they are awsome...I may get one for my living room

7. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

Thanks, that Teac seems to be just what I was looking for. However, I can't find any reputable online retailers for it (JR doesn't sell it online). Some place called 'Brandnamez.com' has it for $300, but they have awful reviews. Does anyone know a reputable online dealer that sells this unit in the $300 range?

So, there shouldn't be any problems using this amp to drive a pair of Paradigm Mini-Monitors with a PC sound card as the source?

Thanks

8. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

Thanks, that Teac seems to be just what I was looking for. However, I can't find any reputable online retailers for it (JR doesn't sell it online). Some place called 'Brandnamez.com' has it for $300, but they have awful reviews. Does anyone know a reputable online dealer that sells this unit in the $300 range?

So, there shouldn't be any problems using this amp to drive a pair of Paradigm Mini-Monitors with a PC sound card as the source?

Thanks

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Rotel RSDX-02 mist fit the bill nicely...its a little wider then you wanted but its getting rave reviews...though you might not need the PC if you used the Rotel as it has a built in CD/DVD etc.

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsdx02.htm

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Rotel RSDX-02 mist fit the bill nicely...its a little wider then you wanted but its getting rave reviews...though you might not need the PC if you used the Rotel as it has a built in CD/DVD etc.

http://www.rotel.com/products/specs/rsdx02.htm

11. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Parasound also makes some "small" components. Here's a link to a picture of their tuner:

Parasound Tuner

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Parasound also makes some "small" components. Here's a link to a picture of their tuner:

Parasound Tuner

13. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

14. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

15. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Yup, Denon makes something similar as well.

16. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the Sherbourn 2/150. I purchased one on Ebay for a friend for less than $125.

Sherbourn

17. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

The Sherbourn looks nice too. Same problem as the TEAC though: it's impossible to find reputable retailers selling it for a reasonable price.

18. MattDL

MattDL Auditioning

I'm still stuck with this. Can anyone provide a link to a reputable reseller that is actually selling either the Teac or Sherbourn (or other similar product yet to be listed).

Thanks