Mini survellience camera Recording to VCR

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tim L, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes, I bought a nice little $40 color surviellence camera today to monitor at night whats been eating my new bushes ( I think its deer but am curious to see)- I hooked it up into my tv and can see what the camera sees when I press the input button on the tv (older tv only 2 inputs, The problem is I also have my tv connected to a vcr of course for recording but also to a digital cable box. When I record with the vcr it records what is on cable even when I have the other input selected on the tv. I have the vcr set to channel 3- should I set it to another channel? I cannot get the vcr to record what the camera is seeing for some reason- any help appreciated
    Tim

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Based on what you've written it sounds like you need to put the VCR between the camera and your TV. The camera needs to run to your VCR first in order to record.

CAMERA => VCR => TV

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I did hook up the video into the vcr inputs but still would no record it, I wonder if somehow being hooked up to cable- its interfering with it somehow, I'll double check- but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't record, but I could still see it on the tv screen, any other advice much appreciated
    Tim

4. Jeff Detiege

Jeff Detiege Auditioning

Try setting your vcr to "Aux". Usually the channel below 2.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I think we need a little more detail:

- How is your Cable box connected to the VCR? Through the RCA input or the RF input?

- Same question for the camera

- How is the VCR connected to the TV? RCA or RF?

Answering them will help us determine whether you should be going to the VCR's "Aux" (or "Line"), modulated Ch. 3 or 4, etc.

6. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

cable box is connected via RF I believe (cable that comcast supplied with box)

camera has only one option- it came with a red,white, yellow composite three way- the red hooks up to the power adapter and the yellow goes into the video of the tv and the white for audio

VCR is set to channel 3- so as to watch the digital cable -the vcr is hooked up with the same cable as the box (is this rg6?)again the cable supplied by comcast

cable box:to tv/vcr >out on vcr
    TV > to In on vcr
    cablebox > to wall incoming cable line
    I hope this helps some, again thanks for the responses
    Tim

7. jason maxwell

jason maxwell Auditioning

You will have to connect the camera to your line input on your vcr.Then turn your vcr on and select the line input as your source instead of the coax from your cable box.
    The easiest way to know that you have it installed correctly is to power your vcr up and select the line input as your source, if you see the camera picture on your screen then that will be the image you are recording.

8. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Sorry for my ignorance, but I was looking to try and set the vcr to line-input and not quite sure how this works- Is there a switch on the remote or on the back of the vcr- nothing is standing out at the moment- i'l look again, thanks once again
    Tim

9. Roman Ortega

Roman Ortega Extra

Why don’t you check your VCR’s user’s manual, maybe your VCR is unable to record from two different sources and it automatically chooses one over the other. You can also try to connect one device at a time, for example, connect your camera first and try recording, once it works, connect your vcr and try to record again, maybe you’ll find out what’s happening this way.

10. Jeff Detiege

Jeff Detiege Auditioning

Tim,
    most vcr's go to the auxillary input if you go down from channel 2. Example... channel 4, channel 3, channel 2, channel Aux.
    It might not say Aux, it might be L1 or something similar.

11. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Yes L1 was it, thanks for all the help, I could only wish the owners manual that came with the camera was just as helpful. But it seems tobe working, now the picture quality, thats another story[​IMG]

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Me, I just want to know what's been eating those bushes! You better post a picture!

13. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

I'm pretty certain it was the deer- caught them big time-infact I opened the door and its true about deer in head lights- as soon as I put on the light they just stood there-no reaction- the pictures are kind of poor- but not quite sure how to post on the forum- have to find out and then I can show them- again thanks for all your help everyone
    Tim