Mini-speaker opinions sought.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip____S, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

I have tried the search here, as well as many other places, and read every review I could find, but am still left wondering what would be the best mini-speaker setup. I am looking at the Infinity Modulus, KEF HT2005, Anthony Gallo Micro, and B&W VM1 HT sets. I'll be hooking this to a Denon 3802, and probably setting up a 7.1 system. The room is 12.75' x 15.5', with the main seating area about 9' from a Toshiba 65HX81 (on the short wall). The accoustics in the room aren't great, with a mix of some hard and many soft surfaces. The other main component in the system is a Toshiba SD5700.

Are there any definite opinions on these speakers? I want a slick looking speaker with good performance. I'm not an audiophile and couldn't tell the difference between a $200 and $2000 speaker, so I really don't need anything super expensive. I also care about the appearance, and don't want little black (or real/fake wood) boxes. I haven't had the chance to listen to the systems yet as dealers are a pain to get to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Troy McHenry

Troy McHenry Extra

I've heard the entire LM line from B&W and it's not bad. The sub sucks however, and the speakers don't sound "great" but much better then what any TV built-in speakers will sound like.
    Have you tried the blueroom minipods? Check them out at: www.minipod.com. They sounds pretty good and look awesome.
    If you can get over the real/fake wood veneer look for your speakers, the best you can do is the Linn Kan (www.linnusa.com). They're fairly small and have a wall braket. I have a pair and it blows away most speakers by B&W similar size. Price around $550 a pair. They just came out with a center channel, called the Trikan.
    Otherwise, I'd tell you to go in-wall speakers from B&W if you're that concerned with looks (I understand completely!)
    Happy listening!
    -Troy

3. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I checked those funky ones out, but I'm not sure they'll work. I'll probably be mounting the speakers on the wall, but in the wall is not an option.

4. Mark Richter

Mark Richter Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at Home Theater Direct Level 3 speakers. I LOVE mine. Cost me $214 shippid to Chicago.
    www.hometheaterdirect.com

5. Todd_TC

Todd_TC Auditioning

Check out the Klipsch Quintet speakers. You can get them in black, white, or gray. I got four of them for under $200 on ubid. They're also readily available on e-bay. I really like their sound and size. However, you will need a subwoofer with them.