What's new

Mini Review - Tyrone Power Collection (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Finally got my copy of this collection.
Great looking covers and really good extras. Wish they had spent more time on the mastering of the films.

best looking and sounding is Son of Fury, which seems to have no problems.

In my many years of living in Los Angeles and going to many public and private screenings of Technicolor films, I got to know what some fo these films look and sound like.
The Black Rose - a bad coy of a copy of the original color. When the film starts with the fox logo badly discolored, you know you're gong to have a problem. the film is so so with a bad leading lady, and an Orson welels, who's even subdued in this film.

Blood and Sand - this transfer in no way reflects the original color and is just okay.

Captain from castille - this is mentioned as a Shawl Belston restoration. Remember, just because a film has been restored, doesn't automatically mean the trasnfer will be good. The color is fine here, but howhere near as good as it should be. The old laserdisc looks better. The sound is ka ka.
What has happened to the sound on this film?
I went to a screening years ago at UCLA of an original nitrate Tech print of this film and the sound was fantastic. This film was broadcast in the seventies in a taped series called the SFM holiday theater. The sound there was fantastic and I still have my old beta hifi copy of that broadcast. If you could hear the differenece in sound from that broadcast to the new dvd, it would make you cry.

Prince of Foxes - this film used to look and sound great, and indeed, in LA there are many original nitrate prints of this film that sound fantastic.
Then, for years, this film was run on Cinemax and Fox movie channels in a misty transfer with very poor sound.
the new dvd has fixes the picture problems and looks very good, but the sound is really bad. Why?

This is a set that could have been great but has many problems too it and the Captain from cAstille and (my favorite) Prince of Foxes have many problems. Very sad.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Iwas going to buy only the "Prince of Foxes" DVD. Now I'm wondering if it is worth it based on the above info. :frowning:

DeeF

Screenwriter
Joe, could you give us some specific examples (other than the Fox logo)?

I have only watched Blood and Sand so far -- I'm 49, but I've never seen or heard it before. Wow! It's the clearest and most beautiful color film I've seen on DVD up to this time, including some more famous movies like The Wizard of Oz and Meet Me In St. Louis.

And it sounds pretty good, too.

Again, I wouldn't know what the original was like, but this new DVD is certainly eye-popping good.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
siomple - look at almost any other fox color logo from that period - the Betty grable and Alice Faye Films, captain from castille, TheBlack Swan - then look at how the logo begins for Black Rose - the color is way off.
The color is okay on Blood and Sand, but nowhere near the original !!

RobertGr

Second Unit
I got the Ty Power set this past Tuesday 6/5/07. I have been watching one film a night, last night I watched THE PRINCE OF FOXES and started the last disc THE BLACK ROSE. I really am enjoying THE BLACK ROSE and after hearing it was the weakest entry in the set I am finding it to be a very pleasant surprise.

The quality I think on the set on the whole is a very enthusiastic thumbs up. BLOOD AND SAND looked very good as did THE CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE. Of course we will not see the same level of color restoration as Warner's accomplishes without FOX have the original negs or seps I assume but the color work is good and the films look better than they have in years.

I totally enjoyed SON OF FURY, and I found PRINCE OF FOXES a bit on the campy side and I kept hoping there would be a scene where the film would kick into high gear. I think the film would have been aided by Technicolor and the script should have been sharpened by FOX screenwriter Phillip Dunne.

A totally enjoyable box and a good job from FOX.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I have to side with Joe Caps on this release.

Fox has been getting sloppy with transfers lately, and every good thing you see in these transfers could be significantly and drastically better. They are not using the best source materials, or the people doing the actual transfers are utterly misguided in their aesthetic decisions, or they are technically not qualified.

An enormous disappointment for me because I particularly love these films. I was so jazzed when I got the box set I posted my enthusiasm before I had a chance to really look at the films. I'm as disappointed in this collection as I am in JESSE JAMES and THE NAKED SPUR and RIO BRAVO.

No, it's not worth spending the money. Fox could have done a better job without spending more money, they're just getting careless and sloppy. They know they can do better but they just don't care. Skip this one, folks.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
The only one that looked unacceptable to me was THE BLACK ROSE, but that film has always looked bad, at least on TV.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Joe Caps is always a very good source and his opnions on film quality are quite interesting and in depth. I agree with Joe and you on JESSE JAMES I remember seeing the film years ago on the SFM Holiday network and the print looked much better then. I also just recently read a post on another board confirming the BFI has a gorgeous print of the film. I did point out to FOX that link to that info, so maybe they do need to look at all sources once they decide to issue a film to dvd. I have read many chats that Warner's does here and they always say something to the effect "we are searching all over the world for better material" etc. I wonder if other studios do the same in search of better prints.

But I am happy with the Ty Power box, the films look good to me and do have the look of technicolor and the black and white films are in good shape. I did a scan of the reviews of the box on other sites including dvdtalk.com and others and the box is getting good reviews and in line with my thougts.

I would love to hear what Robert Harris' thoughts are on the box. I remember when THE BLACK SWAN was released he liked the disc as did many other reviewers yet some people still insist it is a terible disc. I guess it is up to each individual.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RobertGR: Mr Harris already commented on the collection in THIS THREAD.

He had reservations about several of the "remasters" as did some of us on other threads. Basically, I agree with Joe Caps and Richard--W about the poor job done on some of these films. I part company with them on the issue of whether the set was worthwhile or not. While I felt that the color films in particular were less than ideal, I did feel overall that the set was worth owning. As to the quality, you have to look past the content sometimes to see the deficiencies. I did enjoy watching these films, so I am glad to have the collection. But every time I watch the color films, a still, small voice in my head is going to keep reminding me that they could have and should have looked better.

Look at the restorations that WB has done on films from the same era (Flynn, Garland, etc), and you will see the difference. Either Fox did not lavish the care they said they did, or they did a poor job, or there are no good prints of these films (which is doubtful, as so many seem to remember SFM broadcasts of better prints). I remember seeing SFM broadcasts of IVANHOE and KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE 20 or 30 years ago, and darned if the DVD releases did not look as good or better. How come these Power color films seem lesser than their SFM versions?

However, it is not as if they are awful. I got into home video in the late 70s when I considered myself fortunate to own a tape from a crappy 16mm TV print of a favorite film. These Power films are way better than that, but I think they could have been much better. The WB films I mentioned are virtually flawless.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Thanks for the link to RAH comments on the set. I think he hit the mark and the nail on the head regarding the Ty Power set. I think the set is very enjoyable and the films look the best they have in years. FOX got into the restoration game late and as people have said their lab work in the 1970's and 80's resulted in some bad decisions like junking nitrate materials etc. That was under a different regime and also video was not the revenue force it is today. Considering the elements FOX has, the product has been much improved. I think we have all become spoiled by the product done by Warner's. I would love to hear that original negs have been found or they are using sep negs in the FOX vaults but that seems like a longshot.

I will continue to support FOX's improved work yet continue to voice my hope they step up restoration work in the same manner Warner's is pursuing. I am eagerly looking forward to a dvd release of FOX's WESTERN UNION which recently aired on THE FOX MOVIE CHANNEL in a great print. My old VHS copy looks like the same quality of JESS JAMES. I think a dvd off of the same elements used for the FOX MOVIE CHANNEL will be GREAT!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That pretty much reflects how I feel; of all the movies I love, there's only one currently on DVD which I cannot watch, because the transfer actually diminishes the power of the film to a point which I find unacceptable, and that's Artisan's The Quiet Man.

The set's not perfect, but I wouldn't advise anyone not to buy it.

RobertGr

Second Unit
I finished the Ty Power set last night with THE BLACK ROSE and I find it a very pleasant surprise as I said earlier. Sure it could have had some battle scenes and a tighter script but I found it more enjoyable than the PRINCE OF FOXES. Although there is room for improvement on the quality of THE BLACK ROSE these films look better than they have in many years so the price I paid $26.99 (after the 10.00 discount for signing up for GOOGLE checkout) was very good investment in an enjoyable box set.

I agree with you on THE QUIET MAN, after meeting Maureen O'Hara and seeing her love of the film in discussions with her and the fact that she did a commentary for the dvd you think Paramount would use the restoration the RAH mentioned here a while back that was done by UCLA. It is such a great film and after seeing the film here many many times on WPIX NY where the print was better than the horrible dvd it is atrocious that the film has gotten better treatment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hford713
Recent bookmarks