mini-review of PSX controller adaptor for XBox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

I picked up the 'Innovation' controller adaptor last night; the one that lets you use PSX/PS2 controllers on your XBox. It was $25 at Funco.

Here are some quick thoughts.

It doesn't work with original PSX steering wheels (neGcon compatibility standard). I doubted it, but had to try it for myself.

It works with a PS2 Dual Shock controller, and the lower shoulder buttons map to the triggers on the XBox controllers. The pressure sensitive (256-position pseudo analog) functionality does work, giving you analog control. However, it seemed a little twitchy to me (which could just be me). The functionality of the analog sticks and the other buttons was fine, and the rumble feature seems to work pretty well.

I may take it back, I was basically gambling on the steering wheel functionality. But for standard pads, there will definitely be some fans of this adaptor.

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Michael -
    Have you tried it with a PS2 joystick? I was thinking about picking up a Shadowblade stick and a converter. I already have a PS2 to Dreamcast converter, so then I'd have a joystick for 3 systems. [​IMG] But of course it is all moot if it doesn't work very well....
    -Dave

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Where might someone who doesn't have a Funcoland nearby go to pick up these?

Thanks!

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Funcoland == GameStop == Babbages == Software Etc, by the way.

5. Michael St. Clair

Not sure about the joystick...does look like I'm keeping it since I don't have time to return it.

I would think that it would work fine.