Mini Monitors

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SamH, Apr 7, 2005.

1. SamH

SamH Auditioning

I read somewhere that someone said the Mini Monitors sound better with the grill off but in the manual that came with thee speakers, it says to keep them on because they prevent some kind of dispersion? Doees anyone know if it's better to have the grills off or on? I ask because I don't believe I have enough audio experience to notice what is better.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'd say leave them on as Paradigm recommends, if anything to protect the speakers, or if you like the look of them off, do so. I tried blind testing and couldn't notice a difference.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Paradigm designs their speakers with the effects of the grill taken into account. Those that don't know any better and take them off are simply diminishing the performance they paid for.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Most of the time I left them on, but when listening to music, I sometimes took them off. If you like them a little brighter, take them off.

5. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I thought my Studio 100V2's sounded more focused with the grills on so I left them on when I had them.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you don't hear any difference why does it matter?

That being said, I did hear a slight difference, and the choice is subjective I didn't like the slight added brightness with them off, so I left them on. Listen for yourself if you hear no difference, it's an aesthetic choice. If you do hear a difference, whichever way you prefer.

7. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

there have been many proffesional reviews online with them saying suprising with the grill off the tweeters were much harsher. I have found this to be true before I read the reviews. I think paradigm is correct in recommending the grills on. unlike most other manus it doesnt seem to matter but I have heard over and over they are much harsher with the grills off.

I personally always thought my Monitor 7's tweeters were a bit harsh to begin with.