mini monitor vs. adp 370-- help me decide

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BryanS*, Aug 19, 2003.

1. BryanS*

BryanS* Auditioning

Debating between Paradigm mini monitors vs. ADP 370's for my rear surrounds in a 5.1 setup. I have Monitor 7's for fronts, and cc-370 center. I use 80% for HT, 20% music. The room is big 26x22x18 feet high, and the back wall is open to another room, and the speakers will have to go on the border of the back wall.(I wish I had a picture). Side wall is not an option. The cash difference is about $200 more for the ADP's per pair. What do you guys think?

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

My guess is with a room of that size you'd be better off with the direct sound from the Mini-Monitors. How far is your sitting position from the rears?

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Direct radiator or bipole/dipole huh....
    Last year, I helped a friend set up a system in a large room but not at high as your and the ADP were by far the best for. Trememdous surround sound and really fills the area well. I was quite amazed sine I am a direct radiator mad and usually like it in my face.
    It wasn't long after that, I changed my surrounds to dipole/ bipole Energys and I won't go back.

If you can, try both. The directs radiator will give you a small sweet spot whereas the ADP will open the room up to a large sweet spot. Go for it. Its only money and how big a grin do you really want!!!

4. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Mr. Donny.
    I like my adp-170s. I didn't lose that much directionality over my old monopoles; it sounds smoother and less overbearing. The ambience or spaciousness was improved. Now I don't have dvd-a capability, but I think mine would work well for that, albeit, I might have to lower the height though.

5. Kevin_Wadsworth

I have a similar setup and size of room (Montor 9 and CC-370 up front). I use a pair of Titans as my surround speakers and really like them. Rather than mounting on the back wall, though, I have them on stands behind the couch.

My brother has an axiom setup with bipoles (quadropoles in the Axiom line?) Instead of direct radiators - his sounds nice, but I like the directs a bit more.

- Kevin

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd go with the Minis. I had a similarly large room, open on one side, so I couldn't mount the ADPs, but I found that the Titans did a very good job as surrounds (also on stands behind the listener).

7. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

I have same setup Monitor 7 CC 370. There is a small wall jutting out on the side so I felt that it would give me a funny bounce with the ADPs. So I went with mini Monitors mounted on the side walls about 6 feet up about 2 feet out from the corner and slightly behind my listening position.

If you have a big opening in the rear of your room you too may find that ADPs don't work quite right.

I am happy with the minis and they are about 1/2 the price.

If you can get the right speaker mounts putting them on the back wall should work out ok. Some tall stands may also be an option.

8. Susan S

Susan S Auditioning

I tried both (nice dealer). I have the Monitor 11 v.2's for mains, CC370 center, and two Mini Monitor's for the surrounds. While my room isn't as high as yours and not quite as large, I missed the direct signal with the 370's, epecially when I listened to A DTS like Gladiator, etc.. So the 370's went back. If your dealer will let you take them home for a night to try, I'd advise it.
    Susan