mini moniter to floor

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by George Bir, Aug 27, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Thinking of getting paradigm titans/atoms/cc170.
    Decided to upgrade to minis/atoms/cc370.

With the price of the minis plus stands, I'm wondering if it would be better to get floor standing.
    Would like to stay around same price range, since already moved up in price from titans.

If we did get floors do we have to change center for better matching? What about the rear atoms.

Thanks in advance
    George

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

If you get the monitor 7s you can stay with the cc370. The atoms may be fine for the rears, I use mini monitors.

3. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Mini's plus stands will be less cash than the monitor 7's. Keep in mind the minis have no bass and will need a sub to keep you happy. Monitor 7's have just enough bass to but really do need a sub as well.
    I own M7s, cc370, and have titans in the rear. Don't worry about mixing the monitor and performance lines in the rear to save some money as it sounds fine.
    The cc370 is the center for the entire monitor line so it will match up to any speaker in the monitor line you choose.
    Have a listen to the titans vs minis vs floorstanders before you buy (with and without a sub). It will make your decision much easier and will be a fun day!

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

IMO, you made a good decision to purchase the Monitor series. As Aaron mentioned, the price of the 7s is probably more than Minis with stands. Having said that, I think you should give the 7s a listen. I have been a happy owner of version 1, 7s for six years.

The version 3 model is even better than the version 1. If you can swing the extra cash, I would go with the 7s.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you are going to go with a decent sub, go with the Minis. With the Minis or 7s, you will need the CC370.

I had 5s/370/Titans/170 (6.1) and I was very pleased with it.

6. Andy Nanton

Andy Nanton Auditioning

I was recently wrestling with the same question re: Rocket 250 bookshelf vs 550 floorstander. To me, even though the 550 were a bit more than the 250 with stand, my money was going towards speaker and not furniture.

I just couldn't bring myself to put the money toward a stand when I knew I could spend it on sound.

7. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

Just keep in mind that for HT use you will need a sub regardless of what type of speaker you buy. If you crossover at 80 (like most do) you will find that the Minis vs. the 7's will sound pretty much the same when paired up with a good sub. So if you want to save a bit of money then the Minis are a great choice.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Minis will not sound like 7s, especially when crossed over lower. My 5s were a noticable jump in midrange performance over the Minis, and 7s will yeild much the same with more extension. Unless your room is very large, as both of my last two rooms have been, Minis will probably be plenty and cost quite a bit less.