Mini iPods Shipping. How do you like it?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Joseph S, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

So how are they?

Looking for first impressions. I'm thinking of getting one to supplement my 2nd gen 20GB model for use with jogging and other activities.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I like that they did-away with the easy-to-scratch clearcoat of the regular iPod, the coloured aluminum is a step up. But I can't get over the price, for fifty bucks more get a 15 gigabyte iPod.

Maybe I'm just angry because I'm still paying off my 10gigabyte iPod. [​IMG]

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I got the 15gb last week, 11 more gb for 50 bucks was more important than a reduction in an already small enough for me jogging/airport toy![​IMG]

4. Jon.M

Jon.M Stunt Coordinator

I picked one up yesterday while travelling in Utah. First impressions are excellent. [​IMG] The touch pad is extremely sensitive (I'll be using the hold button a lot more) and the screen seems much sharper than my old 20GB model. The sound output seems as crisp as my old model. Because it's so small, it easily fits in my shirt pocket without weighing it down. I hope the belt clip lasts longer than the ones on the original iPod. I'll probably still get a third party holster/case. Still, unless physical size is the overriding factor, it's hard to pay $249 when you can get almost 300% more hard drive space for fifty bucky more. One entertaining note...the CompUSA I bought the Mini at had big orange signs for their "Advertised Specials" on the 20GB and 40GB iPods. The sales prices were $399.97 and $499.97....or two cents off their regular prices, respectively. [​IMG]

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I got one yesterday as well. It serves the purpose I want it for. I listen to CDs at home. When I travel or do my daily 2 mile walk I listen to the iPod mini. It holds about 650 songs for me since I use a higher bit rate. It is beautifully designed, lightweight and sturdy. As far as price, yes it is higher then one would like. But you do have a choice of other iPods as Jon mentions. It should be noted that two other companies have come out with mini-drive based MP3 players at the same price point. The are clunky and not user friendly. And you don't hear complaints from the press about their price. Ummmmm, could it because they are MS-based products? Just asking. [​IMG]

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I think it has more to do with people comparing it to the 15GB iPOD (even if it's in line with the competition).

The difference in size/weight and price ($50) between the mini and regular iPOD isn't enough to warrant the loss of 11GBs HD storage and the lack of docking unit to most people.

I admit that the mini looks great, and 4GBs is a decent amount of storage - but if I didn't already have my 1st generation 5GB iPOD, I'd pay the extra $50 and get the 15GB model instead.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Marc. We're comparing Apples and oranges here! It isn't about capacity. It's about need. The unit is very light and much more user friendly for people who jog. Anyway, it is meant to compete with similar players costing nearly as much but with less capacity. In the end it's about choice. People buy $50,000 sports cars and get much less for their money then those that spend the same for a good sedan. [​IMG]

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

oranges?!, I thought we were talking about overpriced Apples

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Price isn't an issue, I wanted to know what people thought of their mini iPod. I already own a 20GB model and want something to use for activities which I feel my 20GB is too big for. If the mini is not up to the task, the arm band is crap, or it has problems loading the buffer then I'm all ears. I want to know if this will work for me.

10. Jon.M

Jon.M Stunt Coordinator

Actually the 15GB model doesn't come with a dock.

Used the mini in the fitness center for the first time this morning and let me tell you, it is a revolution. With my old iPod, I was always aware it was there and was worried that it would come flying off at some point. With the mini, I can't even feel it clipped to my side. Stunning piece of engineering.

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I encourage everyone to check out Apple computer hardware as well. [​IMG] This same sentiment can be expressed throughout the line these days.

12. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

For those who find value in the iPOD Mini - go for it... knock yourself out.

It is a nice piece of hardware.

For me, the size difference isn't that big a deal - so I'd rather get the 15GB model for $50 more.

One thing I've been wondering about the mini - how easy is it to hold the device while using the wheel with the same hand while having a firm grip so it doesn't drop?

Someone was demonstrating it on TV and it looked like she was having a little difficulty doing it all with one hand.
    I know on my 5GB (1st generation) model - it's quite comfortable.

13. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Both the iPod and the iPod-mini can be worked in one hand using nothing but a thumb. That leaves four fingers and the remaining palm area to safely cradle the iPod itself.