1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini-DV Camera with digital capture?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Joshua Clinard, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I'm looking for a Mini-DV camera that allows me to capture video from my VCR to my computer in digital format. The last time I asked for advice about video capture devices, I got responses that reccomended using the feature on a Mini-DV camera, instead of buying a seperate device. I have asked at Best Buy and Circuit City, and none of the reps think that such a camera even exists. So what I need is model numbers for cameras that do this.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I'm not surprised (though a bit disgusted) the store reps don't know and would make the blanket statement denying the existence of the feature at all. That said, more and more companies are removing the "analog to digital pass through" feature from their products, so I suppose their ignorance is somewhat forgiveable.

Sony was the - or one of the - first companies to have it and you can find it on the DCR-HC96, though it requires a special dock. From camcorderinfo.com: Also looks like that last sentence is a typo; it should probably read HC96. It doesn't appear the HC46 has the pass through feature.

This will get you pointed in the right direction. If there's a camcorder that interests you, find the review for it on camcorderinfo.com and look for the "pass through" feature. I would start by looking at Canon and Sony mid-price models, $500 and up, though there might be an entry level model that has it too. Of course you can also buy a model made in years when the feature was found on most all cameras.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  4. Mick Hyperion

Mick Hyperion
    I have a Sony DCR-TRV22 and it has the composite video input/output and the firewire jack (Sony calls it iLink). Using it as a video capture device was the primary reason I bought it and I haven't been disappointed. It defeats all copyguards from both vhs and dvd's.

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Enjoy it while it lasts. It won't for long, what with the hullaballoo about "closing the analog hole" for copying. That of course involves us the consumers bending over and a different hole entirely, at least figuratively. [​IMG]

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

My old Sony DCR-TRV17 Mini-DV also does this. I've used it to pass the video from a VCR to my PCs firewire port. As does Micks, it completely ignores any copy protection flags. Works like a charm.

7. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Also check out the Canon Elura series.

I know you mentioned the external devices, but they will give you much better performance than using a DV camera. Most all of these will be much cheaper than a camera.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you actually want or think you might need a camera, then yes. But if you really just want to capture, then buying a dedicated device could be cheaper, and be less hassle to use.