Mini DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim__B, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

I need some advice, I am looking at the Sony TRV30 for all the features it offers. Mainly the still image quality, I know a camcorder is no substitute for a dedicated still camera but I want both features for my vacation and I don't want to carry 2 cameras. I have looked at comparable JVC, and Panasonic models but keep coming back to the Sony. I just wanted to hear any experience anyone has had with any of these cameras.

Thanks

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im not sure about sony, but im sure some if not most JVC models have a memory-card dedicated to still images..
    The JVC GR-DVM75U which MSRP's for $1500 can output the images in 1024 x 768, and higher resolutions in the higher models.
    http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L026270&page=3

3. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

Check out this forum:
    http://www.dv.com/db_area/cgi-bin/fo...meras&number=2
    I just bought a camcorder (Canon Optura Pi) and this forum was very helpful. I plan to shoot family videos with it and try to do a little editing to make it viewable via internet for the rest of my family who live 2000 miles away.
    The executive summary:
    The Sony TRV-30 is one of the best single CCD cameras you can buy. What does that mean? Well the CCD is the device that captures the image. Higher end cameras have 3 CCDs with a prism to split the image into color components. I think of it in exactly the same terms as composite video vs. component video although I've never done a first person comparison to see how much of a difference it makes. To get a Sony 3 CCD camcorder, you need to go for the TRV-900 which is considerably more money. I went for the Canon (also single CCD) because it was a few hundred less than the TRV-30, has optical stabilization, progressive scan, fewer buttons to intimidate my wife, and felt more comfy in my hand.
    One of the best places to buy is bhphotovideo.com (there are others). They have a very good reputation for service and price from that forum. I bought my camera from them and service, product, and price were excellent. BEWARE of the price that's too good to be true.

4. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

I recently purchased the JVC GR-DV2000U mini-DV camcorder and I've been very happy with it. It has progressive video, widescreen mode, still picture (stored on memory card or tape), and stuff I haven't even tried yet. I noticed that bhphotovideo.com has it for just a little more than I paid at one of those not-so-reliable places on the internet (they call you before shipping the camera and try to sell you a bunch of over priced accessories).

5. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

The trv30 is like a horizontal pc110 but with a bigger lcd. I believe it also has slightly better optics since it can take stills at at higher res. I've had the pc110 for a year and have been happy with it. The still pics print out nicely (4x6) but I haven't tried 8x10s. Note that this is just a 1 meg camera but I have been very happy with the pics and the colour saturation. The video is outstanding. My only complaint is the smaller lcd and the placement of the mic which is on top as opposed to in front. Your pickup of sound is compromised. If portability is important for you, you may want to get the pc120 which is a lighter version of the pc110. I'm amazed at how they reduced the weight by about a third. I figure they must have used a different plastic for the body. Going back to the video, if you must have 3ccds then go for the trv900 but it's not as portable. The 3ccds though will give you better colour saturation. It will also give you slightly better video in dark situations. The price is about the same as the trv30 and pc110. Do I plan to get a still camera separately? No, I've been happy with the 1 meg output and will wait until the still pic technology to get to about 10meg. Just my 2 cents.