What's new

Mini Disc Recording (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I just got a Sony Mini disc recorder model MZ-N707 / Net MD walkman.

I would like to record class lectures via my Sony Microphone ECM-MS907 and then transfer them to my computer's hard drive.

The program it came with is OpenMG Jukebox ver. 2.2 and it says and I quote:

"It is not possible to check in tracks other than those that were checked-out from your computer (such as tracks recorded using a microphone)"

Therefore the sales rep at Good Guys lied to me and it is not possible for me to transfer audio that is recorded with the mini disc and microphone to my computer. My question is where may I find a program that allows this transfer.

I have a sound card with optical in/out and the mini disc has it as well. The mini disc player is also connected via USB as well. However, I do not have a program recorder that allows me to record MP3 to my computer hard drive.

The lengths of the lectures are about 3 hours and I just want to find a way to put them on my hard drive instead of using new mini discs each class.

Thanks

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I would say go to walmart and get a cheap soundcard that has a standard input and then record using that

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The main question is what program do I record with? The computer sound card has line in, aux in and everything a sound card should have, it's just once I have the stream playing in the computer I can't record it with anything.

I need to download or buy a program so I was wondering if anyone knew of one that would work with the USB connection Sony provides. Or at least point me to a sound recorder software that can record what my speakers are playing (which is the mini disc) to any format so I can then change that format to Mp3 and save it.

I think it is pretty sorry that the copy right protections on the new model Mini disc recorders have to limit the capabilities like this.

The only way I can transfer an audio format such as analog, MP3, wave, etc from the mini disc recorder to the computer is if I recorded the source myself from the same computer. AKA "check-in/check-out" with Sony's terms.

so dissapointing...

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
hey chris you might want to check out this site as a starting point to everything mini disc here .

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just did this. I used Exact Audio Copy and its wav editor to record. Then I had it automatically create a cue sheet for the track breaks and I hand edited it somewhat. Then converted the entire thing to multiple mp3 files. It wasn't too difficult but the quality wasn't very good (volume was too low). I haven't tried it again, but will someday.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a minidisc guy- so the direct digital interfacing methods are not my bag- however you could easily record to analog.

1) Connect md to computer's analog input.
2) Set the level on the player output so it doesn't clip.
3) Download a program like Cool Edit Pro. There are any number of demo programs which will allow 2 track recording.
4) You might want to set the file to mono in order to save disc space. Record at 16 bit 44.1. For 3 hours mono this will require about 1-1.5 gigs of space.
5) Save the file as wav (unless cool edit does mp3 on trial version, which I don't think it does).
6) Get a free app like CDEX to create the mp3 from wav. Try 96k setting and mono - saves space for simple voice recordings.

-V

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Cool Edit Pro is a great program, but depending on how important this is, very expensive. There are demo versions out there, but they don't allow you to save files.

If you like the demo of Cool Edit, you can get the 2000 version for about $75 I believe (Pro is $400).

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I love my MiniDisc recorder for live recordings, but it seriously bites that the only way to transfer it to computer is in real time. What we really need is a small portable hard drive (iPod size would be nice) that can record audio and encode to MP3 on the fly. :cool:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies, I'll check it all out.

I guess I should point out that the mini disc and mic belong to my best friend as he needs it for college. He is a foreign exchange student and needs to save lectures to compensate for his english skills.

I think we need DVD-R camcorders to make hand held digital home movies and take digital pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks