1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Austin meet at the Miniplex

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Jonathan DA, May 21, 2003.

1. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Doc,

The test was conducted by Munsell Color Science Laboratory (MCSL) and was not funded by TI directly. TI is one of many minority sponsors of MCSL including TIs competitors. MCSL's majority funding comes from the transfer of assets of the Munsell Color Foundation.
    (click here to read a brief history of MCSL)

I have seen the effect of prolonged use on LCD panels from demo units. Also, when I was at CST, we had a client who wanted to replace his Sony 400Q which he had been using for several years. The panels where so severely 'burned' that the colors where completely washed out.

But this should not be a serious issue for LCD owners as it takes a few thousand hours for the panels to be effected to the degree where the effect will be intolerable. You can also slow down the effect by keeping the filter clean and the projector well ventilated. Also, even when an LCD panels go bad, they are not all that expensive to replace.

It cost me just over $100 per LCD panel ($300 total) for the 400Q and when I replaced the old one with the new ones, the projector looked as good as new.

Generally, most folks who really care about image quality will upgrade their projector before any effects of prolonged use show up, but it is worth knowing about if you are ever considering buying a used LCD, or at least add another $300 or so for new panels when considering pricing.

BTW: If you want to read more opinions about the study, do a google search with 'MCSL' and 'DLP'.

Also, if this stuff interests you, you may want to look over the many published test reports from MCSL listed on their site. They have done some really fascinating studies, like:

Preliminary Experiment for Spectral Reflectance Estimation of Human Iris using a Digital Camera

Colorimetric Characterization of Three Computer Displays (LCD and CRT)

and a personal favorite...

Direct Digital Imaging of Vincent van Gogh's Self-Portrait - A Personal View