What's new

Mini Austin meet at the Miniplex (1 Viewer)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Jeff, what does the power connector look like? I might have something.

Does the L300 have a VGA or analog DVI input? I don't even own a pre/pro or progressive scan dvd player.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
The power connector is three circles, like a clover leaf or mickey mouse head. I'll take a picture and post it.

Oh yeah, I forgot... you use an HTPC.

It has VGA and DVI. The last time I checked, however, nobody had found a way to get 1:1 pixel mapping in a 16:9 mode using the full panel with either connection type. I'll check again and see. If there's still not a 1:1 mode, we're not going to get ideal picture quality out of it.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Mini IEC power cord, got you covered, my notebook uses the same.

I'll do some checking on the 1:1 mapping, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
They're fuzzy, but you'll probably get the idea.

Is this what you have? It's the same size as a PC power plug (i.e. "big"), just a different connector configuration.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I think I might be able to make it, Friday.

So add me as a tentative.

I am currently still living out of boxes, and no sound
system:frowning:
Could probably use a break.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm 98% certain I have a cord that will work.

Scott, if you make it could you bring your White Stripes "Elephant" cd? Thanks.

Any chance you mugs would be interested in a $20 buy in for poker instead of $5? I get bored too fast with the $5 stuff.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
As long as you're 100% it won't damage the PJ, then cool. :) It's not necessarily a silly concern... I've seen identical connectors with dangerously incompatible or standards-defiant pin-outs many times before.

If your VGA cable will reach from the HTPC to the table-mounted projector, we should be set.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
Got your message Jeff. I'll be bringing my L300U to Houston to introduce my parents to the joys of front projection. Otherwise it'd be all yours. Sorry about that :frowning:

I'd try calling up one of the projector retailers (I bought mine from Visual Apex and they have awesome customer support) and ask what kind of power cord is used.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Chad: that's cool... I bet your folks will be blown away. :)

I think I'll just make a really really long probe for my voltmeter and figure out the pin-out of this cable. That way I can make sure Jonathan's is truly the same. I know it probably will be, but I've blown up equipment doing things like this before. Will be easy to test, and better safe than sorry.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
That's the one. :) I hope Mark has that bulb... I'd very much like to see how these two particular digital PJ's compare.

Would it take more than a few minutes to get T/S params for that AV15? I have the required leads and reference resistor, I just don't have the modeling clay or know-how.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, we will be Sharp-less. It also had to go in for a firmware update to fix some lamp ignition problems, so it will likely be a week or more before I get it back. I can bring it over to your place sometime if you'd like to see a side-by-side. My summer is looking wonderfully un-busy :)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I'm not set up to do highly accurate T/S params at my place. We can test your driver at Scott's on Sat or Sun if you're available. We'll be working all weekend so it's no problem.

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Mark: bummer, but I guess Jonathan has already seen your PJ in action enough times to have a good feel for it.

Jonathan: Cool... thank you. :)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Quick request...could anyone bring one or more of the following movies (they have been recommended as shadow detail tests):
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Fifth Element (superbit)
Brotherhood of the Wolf

Thanks! (sorry my dvd collection is so puny)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I will bring LOTR: FOTR.

I only have the non-superbit fifth element... I'll bring it in case nobody else shows up with a superbit copy.

Do you have Video Essentials or Avia so that we can calibrate the PJ properly? I don't have either one.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I have all of those DVD as well as VE & AVIA so I'll bring them along.

I think one of the best reference DVDs for shadow detail is Link Removed, so I'll bring that as well.

I'm picking up a few new release DVDs this afternoon and so I'll have those as well should you also want to use them.

I'll also bring my card table, poker top, chips, and cards.

See you all tonight!

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I had a great time last night. A big thanks to Jeff for bringing over the L300U, that is the best image I have seen from a $1700 projector, or maybe even any LCD. The lack of screendoor is very impressive. I'm still on the fence, though, as I don't like the idea of not being able to also use it with a PC. I'll probably move away from the HTPC, but there are still a number of situations where a PC-connected pj would come in handy, e.g. Mirus presentations, giant crossover design sessions, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks