mind-numbingly simple question about extending speaker wires

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Charlie D. M. A, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Charlie D. M. A

Charlie D. M. A Auditioning

Ack.. my speaker wires are short by about 2 feet. The ends are hardwired into the speakers in one end and are soldered at the other. The tips are hard in that it can't be bent, so i can't just twist on extension wires without it sliding off.

What should I do? Just use super glue/duct tape? What should I look for in an _2 feet_ extension speaker wire? The shortest i've seen is 12 feet at $30... seems expensive. [​IMG]

These are computer speakers btw, and only need to handle 40 watts per channel

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Little confused on your question....
    One end of the speaker wire is hardwired to the speaker and the other is what exactly?
    Is there a plug or something like this.
    [​IMG]

Do not use duct tape or super glue. Ideally use heat shrink and solder or black UL tape

3. Charlie D. M. A

It's not a plug... it's just a lose wire soldered into a solid spike solid. It's like my speaker ends on my theater system.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Cut off the soldered ends and strip the insulation to expose new wire. Solder and tape the new wire onto the old for the best connection, or a crimp-butt splice, I guess. I also have used wire nuts to good effect.

5. Charlie D. M. A

Thanks for pointing out what's now so obvious. I feel like an idiot for now thinking of it myself. [​IMG]
    /runs to radioshack