Min required distance from ceiling to projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottATL, Jan 1, 2005.

1. ScottATL

ScottATL Stunt Coordinator

The walls are all built in the basement and I'm building the bulkheads in the ceiling that will go all the way around the room. I'm planning to build a shelf inside the rear bulkhead, but the bottom of the shelf will only be about 12 inches from the top of the ceiling as it is now. Add in 1 1/4 inches for sheetrock on joists and the frame for the shelf and it is probably closer to only 9-10 inches from the very top, when all of the trim work is put in place. Is that enough clearance

2. Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley Second Unit

Hi Scott. 9 to 10" should be fine. Mine is only 6" from the projector to the ceiling and poses no problem. Keep in mind though, you need to have plenty of breathing room to the rear and the sides of the projector as well to allow for proper ventilation.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Keep this in mind: ceiling-mount projectors are generally also table-mountable when they're flipped over, with only their ~1/2" little feet.

On the other hand, if you really do use doublestick tape to hold it to the ceiling (zero clearance) do make sure you have plenty of breathing room around it!!!

* note: the use of doublestick tape to mount projectors is not being endorsed by its use in this message.

Leo Kerr

4. ScottATL

Well, that is really what this will be. It will be a box built around the projector to hide it into the rest of the ceiling bulkheads.

Thanks guys.

5. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

What kind of projector is this?
    If it exhausts out of the rear(or the sides), than the setup you described will not be adequate.

Most pj's were not designed to be placed on a shelf or any other enclosed space. You will need some kind of ventalation system to clear the hot air out of that space.

6. ScottATL

Not sure yet, still deciding between Panny 700 and the Benq7800. Either way, they are both 15" wide and 11 inches deep. I'm going to put a mesh screen and an additional fan in the back to ventilate air to the rear and out the back into "dead space"

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Are you wanting to "hide" the projector in the box? I agree with the others that you really need plenty of ventilation around the projector.

BTW, a lot of people are raving about the Panasonic A700.

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Going against what I said earlier, I would, however, recommend having space all around the projector (if possible.) Now, mounting it on a 'shelf' obviously makes it difficult to have air-space below it, but you should try and make sure that there are at least a couple inches all around in the other dimensions. An extra fan is good, except, of course, that you have extra parts making noise and more moving parts to fail.

Leo

9. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

The Panny 700 exhausts out of the front. It was designed to be placed on a shelf, so you would not need to worry about airspace above or below this projector. I don't know about the Benq.

I can personally vouch for the 700. I've had mine about a month and I love it. With the lens shift and 2x zoom, setup is a breeze.