What's new

Milli Vanilli in reverse? (1 Viewer)

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
The older members here may recall a little British band from the mid 80s called "The Alarm". Their big hits were "68 guns" and "The Stand."

The Alarm had fallen on hard times the last 15 years or so... However, they have given the music industry a HUGE "F.U." which in my opinion is well deserved.

The Alarm recorded a new single, released it under the name "The Poppy Fields" and hired a bunch of 18 year old kids to lipsynch the video.

The song of course has raced up the British pop charts...

I thought the music industry had hit the bottom when Milli Vanilli proved a couple of no talents with decent dance moves and a good image could score a number 1 hit and a grammy, even when MOST in the industry and many outside, knew they weren't singing.

I sincerly hoped that the embarassment of that incident would bring the industry back to the days were MUSIC mattered more than image or looks, but needless to say it's 1989 all over again...

Its sad to think, many of the songs and artists I grew up with, and still enjoy, could not get released now because they don't "look hot in a video."

Duane R

Second Unit
My fave is Sold Me Down the River, although Rain in the Summertime is pretty sweet too.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I share your opinion.

I've long questioned the wisdom of "a picture is worth a thousand words"

The fact is, the masses are easily swayed with images - as Lenin, Hitler, and the advertising industry well understand.

Studies often show, that apparently, most people will choose the good lookers, assume they are more intelligent, honest or whatever.

To me these studies actually show how stupid people are.

As to the music, you are familiar with VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR? Dire Strait's song about MTV also comes to mind. (Just referenced in the Music Forum, where this thread would be quite at home.)

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Interesting... I just saw The Alarm on VH1's Bands Reunited. I'm guessing this is Mike Peter's new ensemble under The Alarm name that you are mentioning. I'll have to read more on this story. By the way, I was a huge fan of the original band; I saw them almost exactly 20 years ago with U2.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I loved The Alarm. I still listened to a couple of tapes of theirs until I sold the car with the combo CD tape player for one with CD only 4 months ago. I think I'll try to find them on CD today.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I heard about this on the radio yesterday. Band members did this as a protest against the big labels, saying something like looks and youth were the big draw, and older bands fell by the wayside.

I think they proved their point. Bravo!

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
It was a real eye opener during the first season of American Idol when Simon said that Aretha Franklin would not make it today. That is really screwed up! (Oh, and I loved "Sold me down the river").

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I don't know, you guys heard of the band Nickelback?

I don't like their music, but they are quite a popular band right(for a few years now even), but the point here is that the people in the band aren't particularly 'pretty' or 'hot'. Here's a pic:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nhl...ckelback_i.jpg

As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, the lead singer, Chad Kroger was voted the 'ugliest guy in rock' in some poll. Image isn't everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks