1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MILLER'S CROSSING DVD feedback (also BARTON FINK) (MERGED THREAD)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnRice, May 20, 2003.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I just watched it, and the transfer looks fine, though I don't have HiDef. I noticed the audio was more than occasionally a little odd. It almost sounded at times like it was a mono soundtrack synthesized into surround. The left and right channels often overpowered the center, and then they would practically disappear a moment later.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I'm watching this movie as I write. I will have to keep an ear out for the effect you're talking about. The transfer seems to be okay. I am noticing one thing. The picture seems to "fidget" once in a while.

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Miller's Crossing looks pretty good to me. However, Barton Fink looks fuzzy and out of focus in comparison.

4. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I popped the disc in to check it out and it looks great.

I did notice some hissing from the soundtrack, but nothing major.

Ill watch it this weekend - Great film!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The good news:

Transfer is very good
    Sound is free of no-noise processing

The bad news:

It sounds compressed to me. In addition to hampering the dynamics and making listening a more fatiguing experience, this results in the hiss being louder relative to the average level, and as such, more noticeable.

Neutral news:

By going with a discrete 4.0 mix, there is actually less going on in the surrounds than there was due to bleed-through in the previous pro-logic mixes. I consider this more of a feature than a bug, but YMMV.

Extra!Extra!:

The Barry Sonnenfeld interview is outstanding. The "sound bite" interview snippets of Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, and John Turturro are good, although brief. I had never seen the trailer for Miller's Crossing before, and it is a pretty good one.

Torture us, why don't you: [​IMG]

The Barry Sonnenfeld interview has clips from Raising Arizona in anamorphic widescreen.

Surprise Surprise

I've seen this film a gajillion times, and never noticed the scene with Albert Finney in drag until it was pointed out at the end of the Sonnenfeld interview.

Regards,

7. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Yeah, the bit about Finney in the Ladies' room was hilarious. Just as good was Turturro's comments to Sonnenfeld on where he got the motivation for his character.

As far as what I noticed with the sound, it was that the movie often seemed to be mono and then the L&R would suddenly kick in and far too loud for the level of the center. It was like someone was turning the L&R on and off with a switch. It's not my system, which is very carefully calibrated. I kept thinking I wished they had just left it 2 channel like they did with Barton Fink.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Also, does it strike anyone as weird that the trailer for Miller's Crossing is 2.35:1 when the movie is 1.85:1? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Yes. In some scenes there would be a very small amount of shake. It would last barely a second.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The "shake" is part of the film. It's most noticeable on the opening credits when the titles are still, but the "shot" has a little shake/bounce. I think they went with the shot where they got the hat to do what they wanted even if there was a little camera bounce.

Regards,

13. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom
    Anyone else think Miller's Crossing was SCREAMING for an audio commentary by the Coens?

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Maybe it was, but what are you gonna do? I enjoyed the extras, brief though they were, and leaving me wanting just a little more. I would have settled for a Sonnenfeld commentary.

Fantastic film (about 'men and hats' [​IMG] ), and a marvellous homage to the classic Warner gangster movies (I'm hoping Warners will do 'the business' on at least some on them in the near future), much more so than Road to Perdition, which I enjoyed, but for some reason don't think of as a 'gangster' flick as such.

---
    So many films, so little time...

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I was very pleased with the DVD.

Although there wasn't much in the way of extras, what was included was interesting and informative.

I was very happy with the transfer quality. Fox has done justice to the beautiful look of the film.

Can't believe I paid a measily $16.99 CAD each for Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink. These DVDs and the Three Colours Trilogy are easily the best value in DVDs this year.

16. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

17. TommyT

TommyT Stunt Coordinator

Tom

18. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    As far as the extras, I have no problem with the Coens not doing a commentary. I can definitely understand their stance on the subject, and I probably would be inclined to do the same if I were in their position. As far as Peter Staddon's comment in Randy's article, Baz Luhrmann is not the Coen Bros. by any stretch of the imagination. It would be difficult to find a less fitting director to use as a comparison. That is not a knock against Luhrmann. He just makes substantially different films than the Coens. I think a commentary by them would considerably weaken the excitement and darkness of their work.

Having said that, I wouldn't have minded a commentary with possibly Sonnenfeld and the main cast. In fact, I think that probably would have been far more enjoyable than one from the brothers. Maybe a short feature with a little background on the project from the Coens would have been nice. I wouldn't want anything more.

19. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Having owned the previous letterboxed versions of both films, the new transfer of Miller's Crossing is really satisfying. The other one looked too bright, colorful and "clean";' this one looks absolutely perfect. The same goes for Barton Fink, though I thought the previous LD transfer for that was fairly decent.

20. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Miller's Crossing looked excellent on my widescreen tv. I did notice those occasional jitters, however, they didn't distract me from enjoying the film.