What's new

MILLER'S CROSSING DVD feedback (also BARTON FINK) (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just watched it, and the transfer looks fine, though I don't have HiDef. I noticed the audio was more than occasionally a little odd. It almost sounded at times like it was a mono soundtrack synthesized into surround. The left and right channels often overpowered the center, and then they would practically disappear a moment later.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm watching this movie as I write. I will have to keep an ear out for the effect you're talking about. The transfer seems to be okay. I am noticing one thing. The picture seems to "fidget" once in a while.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Miller's Crossing looks pretty good to me. However, Barton Fink looks fuzzy and out of focus in comparison.

Karl F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm watching this movie as I write. I will have to keep an ear out for the effect you're talking about. The transfer seems to be okay. I am noticing one thing. The picture seems to "fidget" once in a while.
Like a tiny little shaking back and forth? Is that what you mean? If so, yeah, I noticed that as well.

--K

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I popped the disc in to check it out and it looks great.

I did notice some hissing from the soundtrack, but nothing major.

Ill watch it this weekend - Great film!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The good news:

Transfer is very good
Sound is free of no-noise processing

The bad news:

It sounds compressed to me. In addition to hampering the dynamics and making listening a more fatiguing experience, this results in the hiss being louder relative to the average level, and as such, more noticeable.

Neutral news:

By going with a discrete 4.0 mix, there is actually less going on in the surrounds than there was due to bleed-through in the previous pro-logic mixes. I consider this more of a feature than a bug, but YMMV.

Extra!Extra!:

The Barry Sonnenfeld interview is outstanding. The "sound bite" interview snippets of Gabriel Byrne, Marcia Gay Harden, and John Turturro are good, although brief. I had never seen the trailer for Miller's Crossing before, and it is a pretty good one.

Torture us, why don't you: ;)

The Barry Sonnenfeld interview has clips from Raising Arizona in anamorphic widescreen.

Surprise Surprise

I've seen this film a gajillion times, and never noticed the scene with Albert Finney in drag until it was pointed out at the end of the Sonnenfeld interview.

Regards,

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The Barry Sonnenfeld interview has clips from Raising Arizona in anamorphic widescreen.
Ken,

Do you think this means there is a re-release on the horizon? This is the only Coen Bros film I have to go into the other room and fire up the old LD player for. I almost feel like buying the current DVD just to tide me over. Does the DVD at least have a new transfer, or is it recycled from the laserdisc?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Do you think this means there is a re-release on the horizon?
Your guess is as good as mine. In the meantime, I am sticking with my RA laserdisc as well. It was a fairly late in the game laserdisc, so even if they recycled the transfer, I'm sure the DVD was not from a composite source or anything like that.

Regards,

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the bit about Finney in the Ladies' room was hilarious. Just as good was Turturro's comments to Sonnenfeld on where he got the motivation for his character.

As far as what I noticed with the sound, it was that the movie often seemed to be mono and then the L&R would suddenly kick in and far too loud for the level of the center. It was like someone was turning the L&R on and off with a switch. It's not my system, which is very carefully calibrated. I kept thinking I wished they had just left it 2 channel like they did with Barton Fink.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, does it strike anyone as weird that the trailer for Miller's Crossing is 2.35:1 when the movie is 1.85:1? I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yes. In some scenes there would be a very small amount of shake. It would last barely a second.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The "shake" is part of the film. It's most noticeable on the opening credits when the titles are still, but the "shot" has a little shake/bounce. I think they went with the shot where they got the hat to do what they wanted even if there was a little camera bounce.

Regards,

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Anyone else think Miller's Crossing was SCREAMING for an audio commentary by the Coens?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe it was, but what are you gonna do? I enjoyed the extras, brief though they were, and leaving me wanting just a little more. I would have settled for a Sonnenfeld commentary.

Fantastic film (about 'men and hats' :) ), and a marvellous homage to the classic Warner gangster movies (I'm hoping Warners will do 'the business' on at least some on them in the near future), much more so than Road to Perdition, which I enjoyed, but for some reason don't think of as a 'gangster' flick as such.

---
So many films, so little time...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I was very pleased with the DVD.

Although there wasn't much in the way of extras, what was included was interesting and informative.

I was very happy with the transfer quality. Fox has done justice to the beautiful look of the film.

Can't believe I paid a measily $16.99 CAD each for Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink. These DVDs and the Three Colours Trilogy are easily the best value in DVDs this year.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I wrote a little sidebar that addresses this topic in Tuesday's newspaper.
Thanks man!

Has anyone else noticed a small subtitle glitch? I can't remember the precise moment but there's a translation of a sign or newspaper headline where the French subtitle flashes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As far as the extras, I have no problem with the Coens not doing a commentary. I can definitely understand their stance on the subject, and I probably would be inclined to do the same if I were in their position. As far as Peter Staddon's comment in Randy's article, Baz Luhrmann is not the Coen Bros. by any stretch of the imagination. It would be difficult to find a less fitting director to use as a comparison. That is not a knock against Luhrmann. He just makes substantially different films than the Coens. I think a commentary by them would considerably weaken the excitement and darkness of their work.

Having said that, I wouldn't have minded a commentary with possibly Sonnenfeld and the main cast. In fact, I think that probably would have been far more enjoyable than one from the brothers. Maybe a short feature with a little background on the project from the Coens would have been nice. I wouldn't want anything more.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Having owned the previous letterboxed versions of both films, the new transfer of Miller's Crossing is really satisfying. The other one looked too bright, colorful and "clean";' this one looks absolutely perfect. The same goes for Barton Fink, though I thought the previous LD transfer for that was fairly decent.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Miller's Crossing looked excellent on my widescreen tv. I did notice those occasional jitters, however, they didn't distract me from enjoying the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks