What's new

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Eh, ignorance is bliss if you ask me. I have both discs but I don't know the movie well enough to be bothered by the edits. The way I figure it, I hate enough things already so I don't need to actively try to add any more to the list. :laugh:

Well, yeah, this is the thing, you cant miss what you did not know was there. I was a Coen junkie and saw their pictures several times in the theater when they would come out. So, I got pretty familiar with them. So, the recut of Blood Simple when I saw it shocked me.

As fans we fall in love with the pictures and so if the filmmakers go back and fiddle with it, it can be jarring. The original Star Wars is obviously the white whale for many people. And I too would love that original cut as I saw it in the theater as a child. Would be great but perhaps not likely.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah, this is the thing, you cant miss what you did not know was there. I was a Coen junkie and saw their pictures several times in the theater when they would come out. So, I got pretty familiar with them.
I know what you're talking about. I can't watch some movies (Halloween and Jaws are two examples) with the 5.1 remix because the new sound effects stick out like a sore thumb and drive me nuts. If I didn't know those movies so well, I wouldn't notice or be bothered though.

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
With Miller's Crossing I have the old Blu which is fantastic and preserves the theatrical cut. With Blood Simple the film I saw in theaters (several times in fact) is gone.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time the theatrical cut of Blood Simple was released was on Laserdisc. And even then, the Four Tops' "It's the Same Old Song" was replaced by Neil Diamond singing "I'm a Believer" over the end credits due to music licensing issues.

From DVD forward, all releases have been the Director's Cut.

I believe Michael Mann made some trims to Thief for the Criterion version. I love the film but have not seen it enough times to spot the trims he made.

Mann recuts all of his movies every time he looks at them. Thief, Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Heat, etc. None of them are spared.

His fickleness is so severe that in the audio commentary for Manhunter, he talks about the importance of a critical piece of dialogue, apparently forgetting that he cut that scene from the version of the movie he's talking over.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
If I'm not mistaken, the last time the theatrical cut of Blood Simple was released was on Laserdisc. And even then, the Four Tops' "It's the Same Old Song" was replaced by Neil Diamond singing "I'm a Believer" over the end credits due to music licensing issues.

Mann recuts all of his movies every time he looks at them. Thief, Manhunter, Last of the Mohicans, Heat, etc. None of them are spared.

His fickleness is so severe that in the audio commentary for Manhunter, he talks about the importance of a critical piece of dialogue, apparently forgetting that he cut that scene from the version of the movie he's talking over.
yes you are so right. And that is one of my favorite lines, and I remember being so ticked off as he said that. Its in the theatrical cut only and its such an important line. Finally the theatrical cut of LOTM is avail on blu ray, an import that I had to spend a few ducats on. I sometimes do enjoy the long version of Mohicans but the theatrical cut is actually is a faster moving, better paced edit.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I sort of recall that mishap with Manhunter. I love Michael Mann's work and the one recut he did that I would really like on Blu is his recut of Blackhat, which I did not think was a great film mostly because Hemsworth is not a compelling actor to watch, as they say his new cut of the film is a large improvement. Of course, I wish his horror picture The Keep could get some sort of grand release (in a longer cut) on Blu. Not sure that will ever happen.

billO'

Agent

According to dvdcompare there was a UK dvd release of the Blood Simple theatrical cut but it's missing the small bit of dialogue below. I'm also a little confused by the supposed inclusion of a Temptations song, first I've heard about that:

R2 United Kingdom- Universal Pictures - Yes - Theatrical version but some dialogue has been cut at 9:19 when a customer (Man from Lubbock, Van Brooks) tosses a dime in the air while making a music selection. Meurice (Sam-Art Williams) catches the dime in mid-air before he can play some country music:
- Meurice: "What night is it?"
- Man from Lubbock: "Friday?"
- Meurice: "Right. Friday night is Yankee night. Where're you from?"
- Man from Lubbock: "Lubbock."
Meurice shakes his head and punches the selector buttons on the jukebox.
- Meurice: "Right. I'm from Detroit. It's a big city up north with tall buildings."
A Temptations Motown song drops in (94:48 PAL)

JoshZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
According to dvdcompare there was a UK dvd release of the Blood Simple theatrical cut but it's missing the small bit of dialogue below. I'm also a little confused by the supposed inclusion of a Temptations song, first I've heard about that:

I suspect that the person who wrote that summary just confused the Temptations and the Four Tops.

BILLONEEG

Grip
Real Name
BILL
If a movie is 120 minutes long in the theatre, that movie should be the uncut 120 minute movie on home video. If there are cuts to the film for home video release, those should be clearly labeled "Edited" with an explanation why & have the new movie length listed. This should be a law! Can it be classified as false advertising? I also feel that the uncut version must be included in the home video case along with the edited version. My opinion.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I love a lot of Coen stuff, but for the life of me I cannot get into this movie. I blind-bought the original BD several years back and each of the three times I tried, I could not get through it.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Eh, ignorance is bliss if you ask me. I have both discs but I don't know the movie well enough to be bothered by the edits. The way I figure it, I hate enough things already so I don't need to actively try to add any more to the list. :laugh:
You got that right! Ha! ha!.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
You got that right! ;)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
If a movie is 120 minutes long in the theatre, that movie should be the uncut 120 minute movie on home video. If there are cuts to the film for home video release, those should be clearly labeled "Edited" with an explanation why & have the new movie length listed. This should be a law! Can it be classified as false advertising? I also feel that the uncut version must be included in the home video case along with the edited version. My opinion.
Very well said. And right! But a lot of times. It's what they can get the rights to. And how much the Co whats to pay, spend. To put it out!
It all comes down to. Rights & Money.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Perfectly happy with the original BR release, and I think it is a masterpiece. Any cuts made, even if by the Coens, are a great disservice. Hard pass, even though it is a Criterion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polbroth
Recent bookmarks