1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mill Creek's rerelease of SOAP

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bretmaverick2, Apr 14, 2015.

1. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Wow! So the Mill Creek set actually improves on some of the mistakes in the Sony sets? That's great and surprising news!

MatthewA likes this.
  2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What about the last season's hour-long shows? Are they still presented as separate 30-minute episodes?

3. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    Yes.

4. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Ok, so the two syndicated episodes in season 1 has been replaced with original broadcast versions and all of the 'in the last episode of Soap' intros for season 4 have been replaced? If true, I may have to pick this up. Soap is my all time favorite show and I'd like to have it in as complete of a condition as possible.

In season 4, the scene between Mary and Jessica where Mary faints, has the Cosmopolitan reference been restored? On the Columbia House set, the word Cosmopolitan has been re-dubbed backwards. On the Sony DVD set, the reference has been completely edited out.

As for the hour long episodes from season 4, ABC edited those together to burn of the last of the series prior to cancellation. They were never intended to be viewed in that manner. In doing this they used the scene of Mary visiting her doctor in two separate episodes. Restoring them back into the original 30 minute versions fixes that error.

5. upperco

Jackson Upperco
    If it's the scene between the two in Episode 85, there is no dialogue that mentions either Cosmopolitan or some backwards variant.

6. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    That sound about right. So, the dialogue mentioning Cosmopolitan has been edited out. Thanks.

7. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Thank you again, Jackson! Just watched some of the problematic episodes from the original releases on the new set. Most of the missing stuff is there now. Apart from the Cosmopolitan line mentioned above and the musical moments in Episode 2, the shows seem intact. (I don't have easy access to my Columbia House tapes right now. Episode 19 is still missing the opening recap. Was there one originally?) The audio and especially the video quality of the Mill Creek set are pretty terrible, but very glad to have so much missing footage restored.

8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    It seems the trouble with Millcreek's DVD Releases these days, is that often too much content is crammed onto each Disc! With most, if not likely all individual DVDs containing in excess of 4 Hours Running time, the maximum for DVD before compression induced glitches become a serious factor! I'm guessing there's more than a little bit of artifacting and compression issues with these? Last year's Three Stooges - 6 Movie DVD Set had some serious issues, especially with THE OUTLAWS IS COMING, which was pretty much a Train Wreck--It was so bad, there were actually Green Frames, coupled with image jitter! Yet, the same 6 Movies Released to Blu-ray by Millcreek back in April look a lot nicer, and with nearly all of the issues fixed!

Maybe Millcreek should go Blu-ray only? ;)

CHEERS! :)

9. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes, there was and it should have been included. I don't recall it missing from the Sony DVDS. I'll have to check.

Yep. It's missing on the Sony DVDs as well. I totally forgot about that. I never watch my Sony DVDs of the show. I fixed all of the issues with those years ago with my Columbia House VHS set and Comedy Central Marathon tapes. I have a complete unedited run of the series on DVDr that I put together and I watch those.

10. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    Thanks for the reminder, Brian. You saved me a trip through the storage room. I only thought it was possible that the recap was skipped on 19 because it aired after a larger-than-usual gap and the episode itself really does a lot of plot review anyway. But I suppose that was a mistake Sony and Mill Creek just didn't catch, or there was something wrong with their master at this point.

Yes, Tony, there are artifacts. Also,the color is worse and the sound is less clear. There are way too many episodes per disc, but they are charging so little that there were going to be trade offs. Typically, I avoid these Mill Creek re-releases for that reason, but I'd rather have the lower quality for complete episodes than higher quality edited versions, so I jumped at this set when I heard about the fixed episodes.

11. ascendedmind

ascendedmind Auditioning

mark
    Is the video & audio quality any good? Or is the picture clear & way better than VHS image quality?

12. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I wonder how many episodes they could cram into a single bluray? I actually like the idea of dvd video quality on bluray for multiple discs worth of content on a single disc.

13. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    No, the video and audio quality is noticeably worse than the original Sony releases. It's similar to good VHS quality. Much of the missing content is restored, however, so it depends where your priorities lie.

14. ascendedmind

ascendedmind Auditioning

mark
    What a shame, I can tolerate DVD quality, but VHS quality just looks horrible when projected onto a 100" screen.

MatthewA likes this.
  15. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    The original Sony releases looked a lot like VHS too. Let's not forget that the show was created on tape in the first place. I can't detect much of a drop in quality in the newer Mill Creek sets... It's still very watchable, and in a strange way adds to the overall charm of the show.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Has anyone read the book about the show yet? The author has a blog.

17. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    OMG! I didn't even know that book existed! Just bough me a copy. I will read it the minute I get it. Hopefully it will finally give us the long awaited resolution (at least on paper) of the series ending cliffhanger. I've heard that at least the first four episodes of season 5 were written and ready to be filmed. That may not be true, but Susan Harris (if she is interviewed in the book) certainly knows how it was going to be resolved.

I don't think the shots we heard at the very end was the firing squad. I think El Puerco charged in guns blazing and rescues Jessica.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I still remember seeing that episode in syndication as a little kid and being confused as to why the next day, the series started over at the beginning rather playing than the (unknown to me, unmade) next episode.

19. upperco

Jackson Upperco
    The book is a great resource and the author is very amiable in personal correspondence. According to Harris, there was nothing written for Season Five -- not a script nor an outline. But Stu Silver gives a possibility for what he thinks would have happened to Jessica.

MatthewA likes this.
  20. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I read that there was a 4th clip show, seen midway through Season One. Does anyone know anything about this?