What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Just announced for May:

The Larry Sanders Show - Complete Series

Married With Children - Seasons 9 & 10

NewsRadio - Complete Series

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I am looking forward to the release of ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE!

Maybe after this (for AITF superfans) , they would release the single season of GLORIA?

Man oh man, I just wish they could get their hands on and release SANFORD!!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
bretmaverick2 said:

Maybe after this (for AITF superfans) , they would release the single season of GLORIA?

"Gloria" would be a better bet for Shout! Factory, as I've mentioned before that Mill Creek only has distribution for Sony properties that have already been released.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I, too, wish Shout would release ABP and Gloria...possibly even in the same box-set. They did that with Barney Miller, I believe. They added a season of the spin-off which surprised everyone.

Unfortunately, Checking In didn't get that glory on The Jeffersons box-set.

So it's anybody's guess what they are able to get in their hands for release.

Mill Creek doesn't acquire shows that haven't been released already, it seems. Strangely, Sony doesn't seem to want to do much with these stalled shows. If Shout doesn't add them to their release list, then nothing is done at all. It's quite a strange practice, financially-speaking. You would think they would want to make the most of their properties by selling as much as possible.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Resurrercting the thread to update the release info for those that are interested. Here is what has been released since my last update as well as upcoming realases:

May 19

The Larry Sanders Show- Complete Series

Married... with Children- Season 9, Season 10, Seasons 9&10

Newsradio- Complete Series

June 2

Soap- Complete Series

July 7

Archie Bunker's Place- Season 1

Married... with Children- Season 11

Married... with Children- Complete Series

August 18

The Jeff Foxworthy Show- Complete Series

September 1

Good Times- Complete Series

The Partridge Family- Complete Series

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not double-dipping on Good Times unless they present unedited versions of the edited episodes from season 6. Ironically, Sony's DVDs had uncut versions of episodes that were cut when Columbia House released them on VHS.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Resurrercting the thread to update the release info for those that are interested. Here is what has been released since my last update as well as upcoming realases:

[ Married... with Children-

September 1

Good Times- Complete Series
The Partridge Family- Complete Series
Mill Creek has already released The Partridge Family, Seasons 1 and 2 as a set. I called Mill Creek and inquired about Seasons 3 and 4. They pretty much confirmed a early Fall release for S3 and S4.

Also note that the MC releases include the old Screen Gems closing logo after each episode, along with a new closer. Earlier releases did not include SG's logo.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I called Mill Creek and inquired about Seasons 3 and 4. They pretty much confirmed a early Fall release for S3 and S4.

What do you mean by 'pretty much confirmed'- either they are releasing it or they are not?! I am quite certain that the S3&4 release they are referring to is the complete series set. This is standard practise for them, if a series is not selling well they stop releasing season sets and instead just release a complete series set. They have done it with many releases in the past as well as recently with the following Sony series:

The Larry Sanders Show (S1&2 only)

Newsradio (S1&2 only)

Soap (S1&2 only)

Starsky & Hutch (S1only)

What's Happening!! (S1&2 only)

I doubt highly you will see S3&4 of Partridge Family or Good Times and I don't really understand why?! How hard is it to print up a few extra S3&4 discs for both shows and release a separate set- they could release only a combo set.

As I have mentioned previous in this thread, it appears a lot of their Sony re-releases are not selling very well which is why the season sets are discontinued. I wonder if the reason they are not selling well is because people already have the original releases or because they don't want to collect season sets and wait forever for all seasons to be released?!

It will be interesting to see if any of the following series go the complete series route as well since most (except Bewitched where they have released S1-6) have only have 1 or 2 seasons released.

Bewitched

Charlie's Angels

I Dream of Jeannie

Party of Five

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
As I have mentioned previous in this thread, it appears a lot of their Sony re-releases are not selling very well which is why the season sets are discontinued. I wonder if the reason they are not selling well is because people already have the original releases or because they don't want to collect season sets and wait forever for all seasons to be released?!
Or they are just waiting for them to show up at dollar tree.. ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
bretmaverick2 said:

Hi Tom!

With all due respect, I'd just as soon that Mill Creek doesn't get it's mitts on SANFORD AND SON, unless they do a Blu-ray release, ala THAT 70'S SHOW, as there's simply too many compression issues caused by their typical Episodes per Disc ratio! I could see them cramming the 136 episodes onto something like 12 discs, as opposed to the relatively comfortable 17 on the Sony set, on which even the highest total number of 25-26 minute episodes don't exceed 9 on any single DVD!

While Sony's packaging of the Complete Series isn't ideal, I've seen worse, and the price is usually pretty decent on Amazon (Currently around $30 on their U.S. and Canadian sites), and even at Brick & Mortar outlets!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

MattHR

Screenwriter
bretmaverick2 said:

Tony Bensley said:
Hi Tom!

With all due respect, I'd just as soon that Mill Creek doesn't get it's mitts on SANFORD AND SON, unless they do a Blu-ray release, ala THAT 70'S SHOW, as there's simply too many compression issues caused by their typical Episodes per Disc ratio! I could see them cramming the 136 episodes onto something like 12 discs, as opposed to the relatively comfortable 17 on the Sony set, on which even the highest total number of 25-26 minute episodes don't exceed 9 on any single DVD!

While Sony's packaging of the Complete Series isn't ideal, I've seen worse, and the price is usually pretty decent on Amazon (Currently around $30 on their U.S. and Canadian sites), and even at Brick & Mortar outlets!

Tony

I'm sure Tom was referring to Sanford, the 1980-81 "sequel" series to Sanford and Son. I, too, would like to see it released. If Mill Creek were to release it, I'm sure all 26 episodes would be crammed onto two discs. A blu-ray release of either show won't happen, as they were both shot on tape.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
MattHR said:
I'm sure Tom was referring to Sanford, the 1980-81 "sequel" series to Sanford and Son. I, too, would like to see it released. If Mill Creek were to release it, I'm sure all 26 episodes would be crammed onto two discs. A blu-ray release of either show won't happen, as they were both shot on tape.
Hi Matt!

I believe you're correct regarding Tom referring to the 1980-81 sequel series (Which I also have a soft spot for, by the way!), and agree it would be nice for this to see some sort of release!

As for SANFORD AND SON, I have seen postings elsewhere in this thread, in which desire for a Mill Creek release was expressed. I stand by my previously stated opinion that such an issuing would be redundant, as the 2008 Sony release (And their earlier individual season sets!) is likely about as good as can be expected, in terms of visual quality. My only thought regarding a Mill Creek Blu-ray release, is that Blu-ray Discs have a higher time capacity than DVDs, which would allow for the higher episodes per disc ratio that Mill Creek tends to lean towards, without the compression issues, if that makes any sense!

Tony

Tooncy

Second Unit
I can't imagine something with the poor video quality of Sanford and Son getting a blu-ray release. Expectations for blu are too high to do that.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Matt!

I believe you're correct regarding Tom referring to the 1980-81 sequel series (Which I also have a soft spot for, by the way!), and agree it would be nice for this to see some sort of release!

As for SANFORD AND SON... My only thought regarding a Mill Creek Blu-ray release, is that Blu-ray Discs have a higher time capacity than DVDs, which would allow for the higher episodes per disc ratio that Mill Creek tends to lean towards, without the compression issues, if that makes any sense!

Tony
IIRC that was one of the initial selling, or at least talking, points for BR - that you could fit a entire series of older non-HD material on just a few discs. My understanding is the "BR consortium" pretty much shot that down as it would, in effect, lower the quality perception of BR and devalue the product. IMHO that's a shame as the medium is perfect for such releases and could help with space issues many of us collectors have.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
BobO'Link said:
IIRC that was one of the initial selling, or at least talking, points for BR - that you could fit a entire series of older non-HD material on just a few discs. My understanding is the "BR consortium" pretty much shot that down as it would, in effect, lower the quality perception of BR and devalue the product. IMHO that's a shame as the medium is perfect for such releases and could help with space issues many of us collectors have.
Hi Howie!

Personally, I'd be OK with programs that were recorded on low resolution videotape being issued to Blu-ray, provided that an upfront non HD disclaimer is included on the outer packaging. It's certainly not as though some shows haven't already been issued to Blu-ray in that manner, and having freshly viewed the first two episodes of SANFORD AND SON, it is quite obviously NOT an HD candidate!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks