What's new

Mill Creek to distribute hundreds of Disney properties on DVD, and Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is really a shame and a missed opportunity. Mill Creek's Blu-rays, for the most part, are pretty good. Their DVDs are generally awful. I was least hoping for an upgrade from some of the DVD releases of the past to Blu-ray.

So the most I can hope for in regards to the Irwin Allen TV series are single sided DVD releases. In those paper sleeves. Probably with something on the order of eight episodes per disc. Oy vey.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I hope I'm wrong but I suspect it's just reissues of titles previously released on DVD/blu ray. We shall see .....

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I hope I'm wrong but I suspect it's just reissues of titles previously released on DVD/blu ray. We shall see .....
Yup. Already been confirmed…

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Just reissues - well...we could use an affordable reissue on "Land of The Giants" which never got a vanilla release domestically. If only Kevin Burns was still with us!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A lot of these are likely titles that Mill Creek once distributed, that had then gone to Kino for the past few years, and are now returning to Mill Creek. It’s probably very little work to put them back into print under their label.

For whatever reason, Disney feels it’s important to keep certain titles from their off-brand subsidiaries in print. I don’t know exactly why but they’ve been pretty consistent on that point with this particular lot of titles they control.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney will keep anything they think will be a huge seller for themselves to release.

These are probably reissues of things Disney doesn't think will sell enough for them to bother with on their own. But in this era where streaming services are scrubbing even their commissioned original content (*cough* HBO Max *cough*) and movies moving from streamer to streamer as dictated by different licensing agreements, it is certainly a good thing to see mid-range titles continuing to be available, even if they're all things that went out of print before.

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
For me Mill Creek released the worst looking dvd I ever had. Back in 2013 they released the great documentary The Prize: The Epic Story of Oil, Money and Power and I purchased it. I was shocked to see the dvd looked worse than my vhs tapes I had of the series and I thought they used a worn library rental to make the discs. I know that was back awhile ago and maybe they got better on their discs since then but that is the first thing I think of when I see Mill Creek.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For me Mill Creek released the worst looking dvd I ever had.

It probably doesn't matter much in this case because the deal does not include new transfers or remasters. They're just going to be reissuing stuff that has fallen out of print. They're handling distribution.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Disney would be better off throwing all the fox negatives in the ocean than allowing ShitCreek to release fox Blu rays

just look what they did to I Dream of Jeanie

I was gutted when Fox was sold to Disney. Now I’m appalled
I Dream of Jeanie was one (problematic) set. Their Universal TV shows, Charlie's Angels, and Ultraman sets are fine on Blu-Ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Well, off the top of my head - reissues should include "Land of The Giants" (Which as I mentioned never had a budget release - just the box set with all the extras), and "Honey West" (Long out of print)
Honey West DVD is still available from VCI.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would assume all the ABC/Selznick films that KINO had will go to Mill Creek. Hopefully Criterion is allowed to renew their deal for Hitckcock films like "Rebecca" and "Notorious" or else I guess they too could end up at Mill Creek. Films like "Nothing Sacred", "Made For Each Other", "I'll Be Seeing You", "Since You Went Away", and "Duel In The Sun" seem to be heading to Mill Creek. Also such 2oth films as "Laura" and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" blu rays are currently out of stock or in the case of "Muir" $114 from a 3rd party. "The Sand Pebbles" blu ray also seems just to be available used and/or from 3rd parties at Amazon.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Disney would be better off throwing all the fox negatives in the ocean than allowing ShitCreek to release fox Blu rays

just look what they did to I Dream of Jeanie

I was gutted when Fox was sold to Disney. Now I’m appalled

I Dream of Jeanie was one (problematic) set. Their Universal TV shows, Charlie's Angels, and Ultraman sets are fine on Blu-Ray.
Yes, IDoJ is *one* problematic release in a group of mostly very good to excellent BR releases from MC. Rockford Files, Quantum Leap, and That 70s Show are vastly superior to their *studio* DVD releases with Quantum Leap and That 70s Show having the original music restored (with possiblyl 1 or 2 exceptions with QL). While I don't have DVDs of Charlie's Angels, the MC BR looks quite good, as does their BR of the 12 Monkeys series. I also own a copy of their Eureka release but have yet to watch any of it (though what I've read seem to indicate it, too, may have issues).

And there's really no indication for IDoJ that it was Mill Creek who screwed up. It's also possible (and likely) that the masters they were given (from Sony) have those issues and they just weren't noticed when MC created the BRs. IMHO, if that's the case then MC isn't nearly as much at fault as is the supplier of the digital files but MC *still* should have noticed and asked for new files.

My disappointment is more with the part of no BR upgrades to previous DVD product - apparently even if a HD remaster already exists. Hopefully that will change as there are a few Fox titles which have received HD digital releases but still have only sub-par DVD releases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks