What's new

Mill Creek Entertainment's Reissue of THE THING (2011) Missing Chapter Access in Main Menu? (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Indeed, but removing the choice is the issue for many I think. Home video has had chapter stop technology for a LONG time. Want to experience the film like you would in a theater? Fine, just don't use chapter stops OR the Pause button, but don't take away the ability for those that find it convenient to use. As for Lynch, if he's that concerned about how people experience his films then perhaps he just stick to theatrical releases only. ;)
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like chapter stops, and I like players and discs that offer the resume playback where you stopped the disc. However, I also respect Lynch's wish not to include the stops. And I don't want him to stick to theatrical releases only, even if you meant that tongue-in-cheek.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
When you go to the movies, unless you take a bathroom break, that's the way you watch a film. What's so different about the way Lynch wants you to watch his films?
If you want want to exercise control at home, use the pause button, check the timeline, or use any other method; but I do see his point. A book has chapters; a film does not.
To each his own.

Anyone who considers film an art form worthy of study and dissection will find value in the ability to cue up a specific scene for rewatching.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Anyone who considers film an art form worthy of study and dissection will find value in the ability to cue up a specific scene for rewatching.
Yep, that's why I'd borrow a Steenbeck at MoMA and study a specific film. Way back in the prehistoric age.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
True, but if the director doesn't want their movie to have chapters I can respect that. Laserdiscs never consistently had chapters anyways, whether they were being "cheap" or not.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m of the opinion that when an artist releases his work to the public, he gives up control of how the art is experienced and interpreted. I’m sure there are some exceptions to this, but in general, I think this holds. So, give it up Lynch. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think he’s relented on the chapter stop thing in recent years.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I still think it's something that should be left up to the end user; as it stands, I cannot tolerate when things are forced upon us with no alternatives -- case in point, with my Panasonic UB9000 disc player (and it's like this with all the Panasonic UHD machines) you can't turn off the utterly annoying 20-minute automatic shutdown feature. There is no menu option for it, and they never fixed/addressed this in a firmware update. It's absolutely ridiculous that we have no control over this, like it can be controlled in the Oppo players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks