What's new

Mill Creek bringing 4 William Castle titles to Blu-ray, July 5 (1 Viewer)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This was a GREAT Monday announcement ! These will be mine , I wish the pre-order link was ready.. I might just retire the DVD set I have and just get the DVD singles for Strait Jacket and the Tingler :)

Mill Creek blurays are from Sony HD masters which means this will be top notch. I dont mind replacing the first Mr Sardonicus release as this new release with Homicidal is much better and is a natural pairing ;)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
13 Ghosts better come with the Ghost viewer.
I doubt it. This is a budget release from Mill Creek. Also only the original DVD came with the Ghost viewer which I kept since the William Castle collection only included the non-ghost viewer version.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I still have the original ghost viewer from the time my folks took me to see this 100 years ago. Honestly, my favorite Castle film for some reason is Zotz. Maybe it's the wild performance Tom Poston gave or maybe the fantasy that you could point a finger to cramp an adversary or, if really mad, say "zotz" and fry the poor thing. What a tool to have if a terrorist were holding you hostage! I so hope Mill Creek puts this out too. Yes, I still have the old plastic zotz medallion.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Too bad MACABRE wasn't a Columbia title...Allied Artists, I think, which puts it squarely with Warner Bros. Anyway, we're closing in on the Castle horror/thriller titles for Blu-ray. I SAW WHAT YOU DID is coming from Scream F., who I am guessing will eventually give us THE NIGHT WALKER also. Just a few to go.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I watched Macabre on Warner Archive Instant in HD and it looked really good.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I also still have a couple of ghost viewers from the original theatrical release, but the biggest want is the most fun Castle of all: The Tingler. (And maybe his best film, The Night Walker) in Blu.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I dont think Night Walker was his best film (depending on one's taste of course) :) , IMHO its Homicidal , followed by Strait Jacket.. Hopefully both Strait Jacket and The Tingler get blu ray releases, but that's in the hands of Sony

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sadly my DVD of "13 Ghosts" never came with the Ghost Viewer... maybe this will be corrected for the Blu-ray.
My deep suspicion is that 13 GHOSTS from Mill Creek will strictly be the black and white edition, for which Ghost Viewers would be useless. I can't imagine that skid row company actually offering these viewers along with the movie, unless Sony sends them on over.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Even if Mill Creek just provides the color version of 13 GHOSTS with Illusion O and does not provide the glasses, it is not a big issue to obtain such glasses. I must have 20 pairs of the things in the house -- So if packaging cheap red/blue glasses is a problem, then don't pack them but do provide the color version.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I just got confirmation from YOU-KNOW-WHO that my copies should be here tomorrow evening. I may not be able to check until Thursday afternoon, but I'll certainly post here, if no one else beats me to the punch. I certainly hope the color tinting (or if you like "Illusion -O") is in fact on the Blue Ray for 13 GHOSTS, otherwise it's not much of a film, except for the nostalgia value (I saw it on New Year's Day 1960 in the midst of a blizzard) but it's not a deal breaker for me anyway as I didn't get around to buying any of these on DVD, & the price is right..etc.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Just got both double features... I've just had time to check 13 Ghosts. It's the color tinted version. But holy cow... this disc is going to be unpopular with both people who like film grain and those who don't. I don't know if it's a sharpening artifact or if it has something to do with compression caused by putting two films on a single disc, but this has the worst rendering of film grain I've ever seen. It looks like video snow all over the image. The print looks great. It's clearly an authoring issue.

If you want glasses, you can get them at Amazon cheap.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Any one get the 13 Ghosts yet? Does it have the Illusion-O sequences?
It is in "Illusion-O" but there are no glasses included. On the back of the case in small letters it says "Viewer not included nor required" You can see the "ghosts" without glasses but you cannot remove them because you have no glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks