What's new

Military Jargon: What Distance is a "Click" ? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I've seen countless movies where military talk about such and such a target being so many "clicks" away. No one has ever been able to tell me what distance a "click" is.

Anyone?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Alittle more detail:

U.S. military slang for the kilometer (about 0.621 mile). Also spelled klick or klik. This unit became popular during the Vietnam War, but it was invented by U.S. troops in Germany during the 1950s. Occasionally it was used as a non-metric unit equal to 1000 yards (0.9144 kilometer).

BTW..thanks for asking Arthur. I spent 3 years in the Corps, 1 in Nam...and never had a clue what a "click" was. :)

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I think the term "CLICK" came from the fact that 1 click on the standard distance measuring caliper was 1 kilometer.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to all. Especially to Henry Gale.

Now I know it is either one kilo or 1,000 yards, depending on what they want it to be in any particular setting :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I would've thought by now it always means 1 kilometre. Is 1,000 yards as a measure ever used anymore, if ever?

Also, at least to me, "1 kilo" would mean a kilogram (which is about 2.2 lbs); when referring to distance it's either "1km", sometimes "1k", and if in the military the point of this thread, "1 click".

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yee-Ming

I was mostly teasing about 1,000 yards, but when you are dealing with Hollywood, anything is possible.

Yeah, I thought about using "kilo" after I wrote it but figured that for this purpose it would pass muster :)

Next time I'll use 1km.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

That's correct in everyday terminology (technically not).

Just to refresh everyone's memory... :)

10^n Prefiks Symbol
24 yotta Y
21 zetta Z
18 exa E
15 peta P
12 tera T
9 giga G
6 mega M
3 kilo k
2 hekto h
1 deka da

−1 desi d
−2 centi c
−3 milli m
−6 mikro µ
−9 nano n
−12 pico p
−15 femto f
−18 atto a
−21 zepto z
−24 yocto y

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
When referring to the numbers that are associated with Mega, Giga and Tera, it's "million", "billion" and "trillion". What's the word that's associated with the next one up, Peta? I vaguely recall a "quadrillion". Not that any country's GNP or national budget/debt will approach a quadrillion yet, but sooner or later... and after all supercomputers are already in the "petaflop" range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks