What's new

Military Buffs, I Need Some Reading Advice (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
As for Rommel, it seems to be between A Knight's Cross and Desert Fox. Which is the better bio?
Desert Fox was written soon after WWII and suffers compares to A Knight's Cross because of more recently available information. Some people think, however, that Desert Fox does a better job of capturing Erwin Rommel, the man.

When in doubt, get both. :D

Mary M S

Screenwriter
For any with the heart of a warrior, I cannot recommend highly enough Gates of Fire Historical fiction by Steven Pressfield.

It breaths life and accurately depicts what is known in recorded history of the society of Sparta whose culture has fascinated Generals and framers of constitutions, equally for centuries. Based on Herodotus’s ancient account of the era. The book is concerned with the battle at the pass of Thermopylae, when an estimated 2 million Persians came against an estimated 300 Spartans and 700 Thespaians. The pass was held for 7 days a critical delay of the Persian forces which historians believe if unaccomplished would have resulted in a rewritten history (and map) of our current modern world, a stopgap which purchased vital time for Greece till the final battle with Persia at Salamis and Plataea..

Rarely are the two opposing emotions with which humans tend to infuse into their contemplation of and perceptions of war, captured so completely in one text.
In part the book details the horrific nobility of courage and sacrifice and brotherhood which the wrack, ruin and waste of war inspires while never relinquishing an unflinching glimpse into the cruel and often brutal methods of readying men to be capable of sustaining battlelines. Reminding one of the American, General Lee’s statement, “It is good War is so horrible else we would come to love it too much”.

This book relates the history surrounding the epitaph by the poet Simonides, “ Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie”. Also the reputedly famous quote by the Spartan, Leonidas. When an offer comes to spare the Spartans at the hotspring mountain pass if they will "lay down arms". Xerxes acknowledgement of respect towards herculean efforts of an opposing warrior class, Leonidas was the original who quipped, “Come and get them”.

This book is both savage and glorious; a must read for all military buffs.

EDIT: Wanted to add a male opinion of this book, least any here fear my recommendation might be more in the vein of gothic romance :)
Found this review listed on a Barnes and Noble site:
“A reviewer, lucky to have read this book, December 10, 2002,
The most manly book you will ever read
Gates of Fire is a masterpiece. For those of us who have read it, we will share something in common for the rest of our lives. A must read for all U.S. Marines, and all other servicemen serving in todays military. A must read for all young men. This book will change you forever. Before I die I will step foot on the hallowed grounds at Thermopylae, this I swear....”

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I haven't read that much WWII stuff. Mostly the Stephen Ambrose books. I have read lots on Vietnam. For that era, I recommend:

Vietnam: A History Stanley Karnow
The Making of a Quagmire: American and Vietnam During the Kennedy Era David Halberstam
Once upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett-Young War Correspondents and Their Early Vietnam Battles William Prochnau
A Rumor of War Philip Caputo

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
My favorite World War Two books are:

War Time: Understanding and Behvior in the Second World War by Paul Fussell
In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton
Once They Were Eagles: The Men of the Black Sheep Squadron by Frank Walton (any books about the Black Sheep for that matter).
At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange
Day of Infamy Walter Lord
Battle: The Story of the Bulge by John Toland

Users who are viewing this thread