What's new

Miles Davis SACD's? worth the upgrade? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I have the 75th anniversary redbook CD remasters of "Kind of Blue" and "Bitches Brew." I have been told by several associates who own both that going from the 2001 CD remasters to the SACD's is really not much of an upgrade due to the condition of the source material. I have been told to keep my cash, but don't waste 40.00 extra bucks on upgrading these, but to instead buy the 20 bit remastered four-disc set of "Bitches Brew." I was told that if I hadn't already bought the 20 bit remasters, then they would've recommened getting the SACD's instead. I guess I'm asking for some opinions here regarding this issue, as I have heard from many posters on this forum that the Miles SACD's weren't that much better (if at all) than the 75th anniversary 20 bit remasters.

Thanks,

Reg

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A couple of weeks ago, I helped a friend install her new Sony HTB. I don't remember the model #, but it had a CD/DVD/SACD/receiver all in this slick silver unit. The sound quality was very good for an HTB - and much better than BOSE, just as good looking. Anyway, to make a long story short:

The unit came with a Demo SACD, which included Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Well, it is simply one of the purest sounds my ears have ever heard. I had never heard SACD before, I never had any interest in the new audio formats, but that has changed. My favorite CD's will be upgraded when available. I am also very curious to hear what DVD audio sounds like.

Hmm... I just realised that this post isn't of much help since I never heard the original CD... :b

--

Holadem

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Agreed.
The Miles Davis SACDs are superb. try Miles Smiles, a lesser known work that I really enjoy and has a good recording in Super Audio.
Also recommend Charles Mingus: Mingus, Ah Um and Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser.
:)
Lee

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've been buying the Miles SACDs and I have all the remastered CDs (Miles is one of my top three artists of all time), and overall, I'd say it is worth it, but the sound difference depends on the album. I like to have both so that I can listen to the album at work or when I'm traveling, but put on the SACD when I'm at home.
Album breakdown:
Kind of Blue- this is the only multi-channel Miles SACD I have, and one of two available. For this reason alone, it is definitely worth it. The mix is very well done, with Miles' trumpet in the center, saxes on the side, and rhythm section spread around logically.
Miles Smiles- This is the disc that made me a believer, and the first SACD I ever heard. I did a comparison with the CD and it was a world of difference. Just so clear and bright. Plus, this is my favorite album of my favorite Miles "era," so that made it a real delight.
Sketches of Spain- I hadn't listened to the CD in a while before hearing the SACD, but though the SACD sounds very nice, I don't feel that big of a difference. Some, sure, but it doesn't jump out as much as Miles Smiles. Maybe that's just because the music itself is slower and lighter.
Black Beauty- this album is very busy, and you get to hear more with the SACD. The squeaky blurping keyboard sounds are a lot more prominent. Lots of fun if you're into the later Miles Stuff.
Live Evil- As this is a bass/rhythm-heavy album, I don't feel that much of an improvement with the SACD. For me, I feel more of a difference in the high-end with SACD in general.
Round About Midnight- This one sure sounds clearer.
That's all I have so far. I also plan on getting Quiet Nights, Big Fun, In A Silent Way (which I have yet to see in stores, and I think Bitches Brew is also planned.
So, all in all, I would say it's worth it.
NP: Miles Davis, In Concert, CD

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I have to say I hope so. I can hardly listen to the Kind of Blue CD!

Now before anyone looks up Longmont CO (good luck) to come hit me with a bat...

It just sounds harsh on my system. I have a Krell / Thiel combo, and while I wouldn't trade it for the world, it isn't very forgiving when it comes to certain piercing frequencies. I'm am counting on a pre/pro to help me with this problem. I'm going to audition the Anthem in my house for 7 days (if it ever comes to the damn store) and am hoping that it is just laid back / polished enough to tame the horns and violins in my life.

Anyway, if that doesn't do it, my last hope is SACD.

NP: John Williams' Star Wars - AOTC Soundtrack

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

The Anthem will be all that and more. You won't regret the wait. With that being said, you still HAVE to experience SACD, ESPECIALLY with the Anthem as it has some of the clearest, quietest analog passthrough you will ever hear. Truly a great delight.

I have only heard one Miles Davis track on SACD from Kind of Blue that was on a Sony compliation SACD, so I have nothing to compare it to...sorry.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
The Anthem will be all that and more.
I was hoping you were gonna say that ;)
I have no doubt that an SACD player is coming soon. I'm going to try out the Pioneer combo player once the Anthem is all set up. I've got a couple of worries about the Pioneer, but I'm really tired of waiting (I'm detecting an impatient theme), and I want a combo player for sure.
NP: John Williams' Star Wars - AOTC Soundtrack

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jeff,

I would wait a couple of months - I have heard more universals are on the way. I have listened extensively to the Pioneer and its SACD performance is terrible. Sorry to be negative but I don't want you to be disappointed down the road. I normally like Pioneer but I believe they blew it on the SACD implementation on this particular model (47A).

Lee

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The Kind of Blue SACD came as a bonus pack in when I bought a Sony NS-500 last year... (I no longer own either though).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I disagree about the Pioneer, so take that for what it's worth. I admit, I'm no expert, but I didn't really hear a difference.

The only way to know is to try it out for yourself.

NP: Miles Davis, Dark Magus, CD

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Well, I won't order it, but if I happen to be in a store that has it I'm pretty sure I won't be able to walk away from it.

BTW, my pre/pro is in and waiting for me to go pick it up.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Um... I was in a store. I'm listening to it now. I don't have any SACDs yet (I'll be in Denver tomorrow, and I'll look for Miles (see, not totally off subject)), but I'm listening to DVD-A's in the Pioneer thru the Anthem and I'm loving life right now.

NP: Bjork - Vespertine DVD-A

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks