Miles Davis SACD imports -- there are 44 JSACDs?!?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rich Malloy, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I was must browsing HMV-Japan, and searched the Miles catalog... 44 SACD titles, including such wunnerful albums as "ESP", "Someday My Prince Will Come", "Nefertiti", "Bitches Brew", "Seven Steps to Heaven", etc. etc.

Am I the only one who's unaware of these? How do they sound? I found a few reviews on SACDinfo.com that seem to relate to these Japanese import SACDs, including some very strong reviews for "Prince", "Nefertiti", etc., but I'd love to hear a few more comments before ordering...

(...which I'm itching to do!)

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Ok, my math ain't so good... there are a total of 44 Miles SACDs at HMV-Japan, including the domestic Columbia, Analogue Productions, and Mofi titles we're all aware of, plus a whole slew of others that I've never seen before!

And, naturally, it's these "whole slew of others", including the titles I cited above, that I'm wondering about!

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have a bunch of the JSACDs of Miles, and other artists, and like all other SACDs they range from great to good.

"On The Corner" is stunning.

"Seven Steps to Heaven" is excellent, as is "Nefertiti" and "ESP".

"Man With the Horn" is probably the weakest of the bunch I bought.

"Get Up With It" is great music IMO, but not one of the better JSACDs, but sounds much better than "Man With the Horn".

I have a few other Miles JSACDs, I just can't remember which ones (since I am at work).

I would buy all the Miles JSACDs, but I am waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for Sony in the U.S. to release some of the same titles, like "Bitches Brew" - which is supposed to come out in MCH/stereo in the States - yet it is only stereo via JSACD, and "Jack Johnson".

Realize that the mastering and transfer to DSD (and SACD) for the Miles JSACDs is done in New York by the same people responsible for doing a lot of domestic SACDs (like Mark Wilder, etc.). So even though some of these titles are only available in Japan, they are actually prepared for SACD in the U.S.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Rich,

Thanks for this update - I did not realize Bitches Brew and some others were out on SACD.

[​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

What the hell- are you people trying to kill my poor wallet? I was blissfully unaware of all of these but Bitches Brew.

Are they expensive?

6. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Michael, what JSACDs would you recommend? (All styles and genres.)

8. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I already knew about CARAVANSERAI. I really like ON THE CORNER. It's my favourite Miles album. I may have to order those two?