What's new

Miles Davis *Dark Magus* SACD released. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It has been mentioned on Audio Asylum that the Miles Davis Dark Magus SACD has been released. The person who broke the news also reported finding the Diana Krall When I Look In Your Eyes SACD. Happy hunting! :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Suppose another Charles Mingus title is due up?
Don't tease me like that, Lee.

Of course, if Sony were to release one, it would have to be Mingus Dynasty, since that and Ah Um are the only two he did for Columbia. We need Universal to get those Impulse! titles out (Minus * 5, Black Saint and the Sinner Lady) or Analogue Productions to do the Prestige and Debut titles.

NP: Bill Frissell, The Willies

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I am planning on getting a turntable eventually (after moving and finding work and such). I've already chosen my first LP to order: Charles Mingus Tijuana Moods, 45 rpm.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
The Miles Davis titles keep coming and coming...
Yes, though slowly. I want Bitches Brew, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Filles de Kilimanjaro, and On the Corner on SACD. Aw, heck! Give me the entire catalogue on SACD! :)

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Keith,

How many times have you bought Miles' product? I have lp's from my much younger days, poor sounding CD's, remastered CD's, XRCD CD's and now DVD-A and SACD discs. There seem to be artists that we buy over and over (how many Dark Side of the Moon versions do you have?) I think the companies are living on reissues since a lot of the new music is just plain bad (and that is not me getting old either).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I only got into Miles fairly recently, so I don't have a hundred versions of everything. As with most people, I suppose, I have more versions of Kind of Blue than any other Miles title. However, that is in part because I am a collector, not because I have been a Miles fan through the pains of numerous formats coming and going. Here's are the versions of Kind of Blue I own:
1) LP (Not one of the "fancy" audiophile pressings, just a copy I bought brand new at a local dealer a few months ago for $9.)
2) Original Columbia Jazz Masterpieces CD
3) Remastered CD
4) Stereo SACD
5) Multi-channel SACD
6) Pre-recorded minidisc
I have seen several import CDs of Kind of Blue, but I have passed on them. I have no idea if they are any better than the standard remastered CD, and I doubt they are better than the SACDs I have. Likewise, I have passed on the Sony MasterSounds gold CD because I figure the remastered CD sounds the same. The collector in me wants the gold CD, but I haven't picked it up yet.
There are a couple of other Miles titles that I have in a few versions, but not as many as Kind of Blue. I have the original and remastered CDs and the SACD of In A Silent Way, for example. I don't anticipate buying any more versions of that one. :)
As for Dark Side of the Moon, I have:
1) Original CD
2) Remastered CD
3) MFSL gold CD
4) 20th anniversary CD
When (if) the DVD-Audio disc comes out on 3/3/03, I will have that one too! :)

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Keith,
Well add to your list two or three L.P.'s of each due to wear and tear and you have my list. I am buying a lot of new music but finding a real jewel in the R&B, Rock and Pop genres is really difficult. Since Jazz is my favorite music, there is always a good amount of quality music around (although I am finding that Jazz artists are becoming more self-absorbed). I like to sample new music because of the fresh viewpoints and artistry that is possible. My grands are really happy that they get a good number of hand me downs for their collections that they probably wouldn't buy on their own.;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I have thought about upgrading my turntable since vinyl can sound so good, but along with the high maintenance involved with vinyl, the need to replace LPs every so often bothers me. So, these factors combined with the fact that there is so much available on the digital formats that interests me has had me hold off on buying a new turntable.
Regarding fresh music, I have recently gotten into jazz in a big way, so I have a whole new catalog of music to buy. I always knew a lot of the artists and their works from my days of playing trumpet, but I have never gone out and bought much jazz until now. In addition, I am getting into bluegrass little by little, which is keeping things exciting. I have a handful of Alison Krauss discs, and today, I bought a Nickel Creed CD. The new music keeps me going. I will always love rock, pop, and some metal, but the jazz and bluegrass give me some new variety. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks