Miles And Monk At Newport

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matt Broeska, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

hello everyone. i'm considering purchasing the miles and monk at newport cd, but it's pretty pricy. i need someone to tell me if it's good or bad. well... awesome or just plain good would probably be more appropriate. i just picked up miles davis at carnegie hall this past weekend and it's really amazing.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have this set and enjoy it. I don't think it is exactly essential stuff from either artist, but the performances are pretty solid.
    I bought it about 10 years ago and don't remember what it sold for. I was working for Sony at the time and got it for $7CDN. I really miss that discount program. You may want to shop around for a good price. I also think you can get the Miles set separate. And I think there is also a Monk set that has a later Newport set included as well. Sony has been known to release some jazz titles with different titles, so it pays to research the titles you are buying. Maybe another member can shed so more light on them.

Regards
    KrisM

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To the best of my knowledge, the Miles set is not available seperately (and I've never heard it).

The Miles and Monk album is from 1955, the concert that marked Miles' comeback.

Other Newport concerts are available from both artists. Miles Davis' sextet's 1958 performance has been remastered on CD, and Monk's '63 and '65 performances recently was remastered and released together as a double CD.

4. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I think we're talking about different sets. The one I have is 2 CD set called Miles Davis & Thelonious Monk - Live at Newport 1958 & 1963 (#C2K 53585). The Miles set is 1958 and the Monk set is 1963. It(the cd), came out in 1994. Which one are you asking about Matt?

Regards
    KrisM

5. Matt Broeska

this is the one i'm talking about. i'm a huge fan of both, but it sounds like from what you guys are saying is that it's seperate performances. i had assumed from the title that they played together.

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

That's very strange. The set I have has the exact same track listing. There is an error somewhere though as my set was recorded in 1958 and 1963, yet the website lists 1955. I would guess that the website is wrong.
    My set also has Coltrane with Miles. Was Trane even with Miles in 1955?
    Miles and Monk don't play together. I thought the same thing when I ordered the set years ago. Don't let this stop you from buying it though.
    For the price you are looking at, you could probably find the 1958 Miles disc and the 1963/1965 Monk discs. I don't know about the sound quality differences between the discs though.

Regards
    KrisM

7. Matt Broeska

thanks kris. i'm gonna shop around locally for a while then and see what i can find before ordering that disc online. maybe i'll luck out and find the vinyl. [​IMG]