MikeyWeitz: JBL Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoeyR, Feb 18, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Are the E10's worth getting? Do you feel they are complimenting your system good?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Al Griffin thought so in his Sound and Vision April 2004 article "You're Surrounded!" (E20, EC35, E10 & dual E250P sub) when he subjectively wrote ...

FYI: Tom Nousaine's objective benchmark:
    Frequency Response
    E20 front left/right...... 88 Hz to 20 kHz ±2.6 dB
    EC35 center............... 88 Hz to 19.6 kHz ±3.3 dB
    E10 surround.............. 88 Hz to 20 kHz ±3.9 dB
    E250P subwoofer........... 33 to 79 Hz ±2.8 dB

Phil

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Phil is certainly the resident JBL expert in my book :)

That being said, for my size room and the fact they needed to be wall mounted for my side surrounds. I am EXTREMELY happy with them (and my setup in general).

I have the E10's mounted about 2' above ear level when seated-even to slightly in front of my listening position (no choice as their is doorway on right side).
    I have N24's as my rear surrounds, on stands behind my sofa (which is 1.5' from rear wall) about level with top of sofa firing UP toards ceiling.

This is working EXTREMELY well for me :)

I would say go for E30's if stand or bookshelf mounting the surrounds, but if you need wall mounting, then the E10's are the way to go. Very happy with them!

4. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    I was going to use the E30s, I have 4, 2 for front, 2 for side and was thinking of maybe picking up the E10's for the rear? You two have any suggestions on best setup and placement?

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Well, your room, walls, windows and door openings will determine the best layout design.

Here's Dolby's latest Room Layout and Speaker Setup website.

FYI: I started with Dolby typical 5.1 room layout for my speaker dispersion layout pattern in my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/family room.

The sides are approx. 3' back from my 'sweet spot', 6' high facing each other across the room. My Rear Center channel speakers is 8' high, very slight tilt down, about 5' apart facing forward.

All sounds glorious! [​IMG]

Phil

6. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Ok heres another problem my living room is like 16X20, my tv sits at one wall on the left wall is couch, on right wall is loveseat, back is open to kitchen(I live in a manufactured home, have computers in both back corners, E10s would work good in both back corners but my side E30's would be right next to each couch, dont really have the room to move furniture around, any more suggestions [​IMG]

7. LloydM

LloydM Agent

For those of you putting the E30's on stands, what stands are you using?

FYI...I am very pleased with my EC35, E30, E10 combo. The E10's are mounted about 2.5' above ear level on the wall directly behind the coach that is centered to the TV. The coach is pushed against the wall, so I know that its not "optimal" but its working well for me. [​IMG]

8. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
  9. LloydM

LloydM Agent

I am only running 2 for now. When we move into a bigger house I will purchase a pair of E80's for mains, move the E30's to surround and the E10's to the rear.