What's new

Mike Tyson knockout vid (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was going to mention how some of the "hits" didn't look like they really made contact but......damn.....ouch.

ToddTH

Auditioning
If Cus Damato had lived Tyson probably would have been the best heavyweight of all time or at least tied with Ali. Sad to watch him now be retired on his stool by someone he would have knocked out with a jab back in the day.

Blu

Screenwriter
Tyson had everything and really traded it for nothing. He had the skills but had a 2 cent head to go with it.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Too bad the video didn't include the Trevor Berbick fight, where Tyson knocked him out three times with one punch (Berbick got up twice only to collapse before the fight resumed). To me, that fight and the Michael Spinks bout (where Tyson basically knocked him out with a body shot) were his most impressive KOs.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Looking at the old video reminds me of how much skill Tyson had in his younger days. Just look at how many punches he slipped and avoided from his opponents. He was so hard to hit back then. And the angles and speed of his punches are truly amazing.

I've got to agree with an earlier poster. If Cuss (who was basically the only father figure Mike ever had) had not died, Mike would have been the greatest ever.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Give me a break. Mike Tyson's got skills? Mike Tyson one of the greatest of all time? Right up there with Ali? I think I'm going to throw up. This talentless thug had nothing going for him except his strength and the fact that during his early years he never fought anyone of any substance. Once he did, he got beat, every time. From Buster Douglas on he soon found out he had no reason to be in the ring and every reason to wait for some poor sap in a dark alley. "Right up there with Ali"? Oh shit that was funny.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Tyson lacked direction after Gus's death but the question would be how long could Gus keep Mike focused after he became the champ? Tyson imho would not be a great fighter since he lacked quality opponents when he was in his prime and seemed to lack the focus and hunger a true champ would of had. He had raw talent and it may could of been polished but that's something that he wasted and should not be compared to the greats, it's an insult to them.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

That sounds exactly like what Angelo Dundee said about Tyson prior to his (Tyson) fight with Pinklon Thomas (Angelo was Thomas' trainer at that time), and we know the outcome of that one!

I, too, believe that Tyson could have been one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, if he stayed away from Don King.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Brett, even if Tyson stayed away from Don he had enough internal demons to fight against as portrayed by his ex-wife and those that seem to "rat" him out on any special about him (if we judge a person by the quality of the people he keeps... it looks even worse). I think if there were enough quality opponents during his early and mid years it may have developed him enough to have a focus but his personality of self-destruction and need of attention even if it's bad or shocking shows he didn't have the mental endurance to be a legend. I thought he was the most talented boxer in the ring at his time but unfortunately for him if he was a quality boxer his "time" was not during what would of been his "prime" as he may have been a legend if he could stay focused but losses to the likes of Buster Douglas and the way he lost to Evander (biting his ear off) will most likely over-shadow his best moments.

ToddTH

Auditioning
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, by the time the Buster Douglas fiasco happened Tyson had already been in King's influence and was lost to Cus. I do think that if Cus lived Tyson would have followed a different path, as soon as Cus died and Rooney was gone Tyson became a lost soul. As for quality opponents, back then it wouldn't have mattered who he fought, i.e. Micheal Sphinks who at the time was a "great" fighter, that took all of ninety seconds. No one wanted to fight him then including Evander, if they would have fought before like they were suppose to it may have been a whole different story to be written. Don't get me wrong what Tyson allowed to happen to himself is a disaster and he was despicably for a long time, and I do agree that the whole ear biting thing will be his most remembered moment, especially by the mainstream. All that being said Tyson "could" have been one of the best ever, and was one of the most electrifying knockout artist ever if nothing else.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

I don't think Cus could pull Mike back after he achieved the status of champion as he seemed hell bent on his own destruction. Even though Cus died Mike wouldn't take the advice for Cus's circle of friends or the people he rounded up to help put Mike in this situation. Mike beat two aging and definitely not in their prime boxers like Holmes and Sphinks and the others he fought about this time were much more forgettable thus establishing the creditials of poor quality opponents. The heart of most champions is not tested as much when seeking the prize (most athletes are hungry) but how hungry they stay after winning it. Mike seemed to have taken it for granted (rightly so as his opponents offered no challenge and therefore he really had no reason to stay cautious and alert) and if there was someone of quality at this time it may have been what was needed to keep him on his toes. I think Mike just happened to have a lot of bad luck going against him, both professional and personal, but I still think he lacked that challenging opponent and/or discipline to make him a legend, instead he'll go out like a circus sideshow freak with his silly statements/outbursts, ear-bitting, legal (rape) problem, and PC incorrect tattoo (Mao). I think he tarnished his own creditials long before most could accept it and don't believe Don King is the one to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks