Mike Portnoy's Liquid Drum Theater DVD: Outstanding!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Anyone who likes Dream Theater and/or is a drummer should run out and buy this 2-disc DVD set immediately. It is the best instructional video I have ever seen and Mike has packed it with many extra goodies.
    The first disc highlights the music of Liquid Tension Experiment, which was Mike's side project with Tony Levin (Bass), John Petrucci (guitar) and Jordan Rudess (keyboards, who later would join Dream Theater). Since LTE had become comprised of three Dream Theater members, it was decided to end it after two albums. The songs here represent the best of the two albums, which were highly spontaneous and improvisational pieces.
    The second disc is the real treasure for Dream Theater fans. Several songs from Scenes From a Memory are examined and played in their entirety, with three different camera angles available (including one that focuses on Mike's footwork). Mike breaks down several key parts of the songs and explains the thought behind the rhythms and fills, and shows how the band used thematic elements from the original Metropolis in the new album. One of the neat things is that the mix that Mike plays along to is not the same as the one that ended up on the album. It is a mix done by David Botrill, and Mike explains the difference. You can easily hear how certain instruments are more prominent in this mix (especially Jordan Rudess's keyboards). The drums, of course, are on top of everything, but not too overpowering. If I had the equipment, I would definitely make a music-only CD copy of the songs to play by themselves -- that's how much I like the new/different sound of the songs.
    For the DVD, Mike has added a full-length commentary track on both discs and a lot of extra footage. It is evident that he is not only a great musician, but also a huge fan of DVD technology. He knows what DVDs can offer, and takes full advantage.
    I bought the DVD from DVDEmpire for $34.95 (which is actually cheaper than the VHS version at $49.95). I'm not sure if it will be available at the big retail stores such as Best Buy, as Mike and Dream Theater are not universally known and this is really classified as an instructional video.
    Highly recommended!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I WILL be getting this as soon as I can free up some space on my credit card/s.

I am a drummer and love Dream Theater.

Thanks for the review.

3. Michael St. Clair

Wow, that's a little pricey.
    I'm not a musician. I'm not a Dream Theater fan.
    I really, really, really like LTE.
    Think this is worth it for me? How long is disc 1? How is the audio encoded? I like PCM. [​IMG]

4. Brian Perry

Michael,

The audio is DD2.0, presumably because he wanted to put as much material on the discs as possible.

5. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Brian,
    Thanks for the heads-up!!!

6. Brian Perry

John,

You can lock on each angle for the whole song. So if you want to watch eight minutes of just his feet, you have that ability!