What's new

Mike Portnoy: Liquid Drum Theater (1 Viewer)

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

To anyone who bought this dvd:

Is it a live band performance or more like a drum clinic? I'm not a big fan of Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment, but i rather enjoy Mike's drumming. I am willing to buy it if it's more of a drum clinic. I also read that it has multi-angle options? Is this true?

To get straight to the point: How's the dvd and what's in it?

Thanks so much,

Regards, Wolverine

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Try and go to mikeportnoy.com there is some info about the video there... I can't help you more than that, sorry I'm not a drummer! :)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Antonio,

I found this information:

Publisher: Music Video Distributors

Release Status: In Print

Rating: Not Rated

HIFI: N

Surround: N

Digital: N

AC3: N

THX: N

DTS: N

Run Time Minutes: 0

Letter Boxed: N

Recording mode: (unknown)

Noise Reduction: (unknown)

Digital Processing: (unknown)

DVD Features:

Region 0

Boxed Set

Full Frame - 1.33

VideoLog Description:

Two video set documenting the music of Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment. Video One takes you into the studio with LTE where Mike Portnoy plays eight songs, breaking down his technique and explains patterns and fills. Video Two: Mike performs eleven songs from Dream Theater, with detailed explanations of double bass technique, and odd-timing. Live footage of both bands included as well as a website containing musical transcriptions of songs included.
Hope this helps.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I picked up the VHS version when it first came out (signed by Mike himself!) and just got around to picking up the DVD.

It's more of an instructional video- he plays drum tracks from DT (mainly SFAM but some FII) and LTE. Some songs he plays the entire song, others just portions. He explains what he's doing during some of the song sections (breaks down fille, odd time, double bass, etc). During these songs it's just him in the studio that the camera's on (the rest of the music is just played in the background).

Between the songs there's additional footage inserted- concert footage, backstage type stuff, etc...

There are multi angles of 4 full songs- 2 from LTE (forget which ones), and 2 from SFAM (Home and Dance of Eternity). You choose from 3 angles- foot cam, "regular" cam, or the crane cam (that swoops from side to side in an overhead type position).

To answer your main question, tho- yes, it's instructional, but with plenty of extra tidbits to keep fans of the band happy. In case you care, it's fullframe and in stereo. It says it has a full length commentary (which'd be really, really long) that I haven't had the chance to check out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks