Mike Portnoy: Liquid Drum Theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio Silva, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Antonio Silva

Antonio Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

To anyone who bought this dvd:

Is it a live band performance or more like a drum clinic? I'm not a big fan of Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment, but i rather enjoy Mike's drumming. I am willing to buy it if it's more of a drum clinic. I also read that it has multi-angle options? Is this true?

To get straight to the point: How's the dvd and what's in it?

Thanks so much,

Regards, Wolverine

2. Antonio Silva

Anyone? [​IMG]

3. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Try and go to mikeportnoy.com, there is some info about the video there... I can't help you more than that, sorry I'm not a drummer! [​IMG]

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't have it, but I believe it's an educational video.

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Antonio,

I found this information:

6. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

I picked up the VHS version when it first came out (signed by Mike himself!) and just got around to picking up the DVD.

It's more of an instructional video- he plays drum tracks from DT (mainly SFAM but some FII) and LTE. Some songs he plays the entire song, others just portions. He explains what he's doing during some of the song sections (breaks down fille, odd time, double bass, etc). During these songs it's just him in the studio that the camera's on (the rest of the music is just played in the background).

Between the songs there's additional footage inserted- concert footage, backstage type stuff, etc...

There are multi angles of 4 full songs- 2 from LTE (forget which ones), and 2 from SFAM (Home and Dance of Eternity). You choose from 3 angles- foot cam, "regular" cam, or the crane cam (that swoops from side to side in an overhead type position).

To answer your main question, tho- yes, it's instructional, but with plenty of extra tidbits to keep fans of the band happy. In case you care, it's fullframe and in stereo. It says it has a full length commentary (which'd be really, really long) that I haven't had the chance to check out yet.

7. Antonio Silva

Thanks for the answers. I think i'll order it.
    Cheers, [​IMG]