Mike Portnoy "Liquid Drum Theater" on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Just cruising around and saw that Mike Portnoy, drummer extraordinaire from Dream Theater, just released a two-disc DVD here . Has anybody seen this? I'm not a drummer, but I love what he does and the features on this disk look cool.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I'm all about that! Speaking of Dream Theater, I got to meet these guys a few years back and they were very cool. I am a drummer and his style is my biggest influence. I also have an instructional drum video from Mike Portnoy. It's nice to see someone else enjoy Dream Theater. I will have to pick up the 2-disc DVD set. Do you have the Metropolis 2000 DVD? awesome in my opinion. Also, if you enjoy Dream Theater you should check out Liquid Tension Experiment. Most of the guys from DT are in that, all instrumental stuff.
    Edited to say that if you like DT, check out my web page and at the bottom is a pic of the tattoo I designed, you may see something familar.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 22, 2001 at 08:53 PM]

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

4. Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory Agent

Just for the record... I think any deluxe set of "Blade Runner" should include BOTH the director's cut and the original theatrical version. Personally, I like the director's cut, but that's because I've seen it many times and I know what's going to happen. But I would like to take a trip down memory lane with the original. In fact, I DEMAND to take that trip!
    - Mike

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I'm a big DT and LTE fan as well and I can't wait for the new CD next spring. Like Jay one of my favorite tracks is A Change of Seasons so I'm really looking forward to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
    As for the Portnoy DVD, do you think that a non-drummer would enjoy this? I'm looking forward to reading some reviews of it.
    ------------------
    You want to upgrade again?!!

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I too am looking forward to the new CD. I think that a non-drummer will enjoy the Drumming DVD because if you really enjoy the music and are amazed by their talent, watching the drumming (plus there are going to be songs included, not just drumming instruction) will only heighten your DT experience.
    I really enjoyed the fact that they put A Change of Seasons live on the DVD (m2k). This is one of my favorite DT songs and can appreciate the time and patience in writing/remembering how to play this song. 23 minutes of music is difficult to remember. When I was in a band called, Jules Winfield, we wrote three songs that were 5-6 minutes in length (Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi) and we ran them together and called it The Trilogy (of course) and that was very difficult to play. Oops, I was rambling on about stuff again. Sorry. Has anyone listened to the commentary on M2K?
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga