Mike Bullard Cancelled

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Michael Pakula, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I doubt anyone from the U.S. has heard of him but for us canadians his show was recently cancelled. I think the problem was that his show needed better writers, better guests, and he lacked in the interview too. I believe to be a good talk show host you need to do well in all of these areas. All of the american late night talk show host's usually achieve this in 2 or more of the categories I mentioned. This is why they are more appealing than Mike Bullard I believe.

The Toronto Star: It's lights out for late night's Bullard
    Bad ratings led to cancellation
    From Average Joe to `grinning shill'
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1079133610500

-Mike

2. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Well, when CTV puts Comedy Central's 'The Daily Show' in its old time slot right up against it, there's no chance in hell Bullard's gonna win.

Besides, even when Bullard was on The Comedy Network, then added to CTV latenight, the show was bad.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Frank Mag called him Mike Dullard years ago.

4. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Bill Brownstein of the Montreal Gazette mentioned the fact Bullard was not very funny. I sent him the following.

The only time he was ever really funny is when Tom Green brought a dead racoon (roadkill) to the show (saw this on a Tom Green compilation DVD), and proceeded to "groom" it on Bullard's desk. Bullard was so taken aback by the display (and the smell) that he had to step off stage to throw up!

The guy is so un-funny that I'm still surprised he can get work.

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Mike Bullard is abaolutely horrible. Francois summed it up perfectly in his quote.

6. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Yep, Bullard just wasn't very funny, simple as that. And appearing on those weight-loss ads didn't help, either. "I get such joy...from a can of tuna"; what is that?!?
    Cheers.

DS.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Pretty funny live, I saw him the first season.

REALLY boring on TV, he likes himself a little TOO much, and that's coming from a friend that worked with him on Global.

B

8. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

In my neck of the woods Bullard comes up against the daily show and conan, and those aren't even the cable competition.
    His guest booking was mediocre, his jokes definitely unfunny and his personality rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm actually kind of happy he was cancelled, wonder what global will put on instead.

9. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't agree more - Bullard is an untalented hack, and I'm surprised that he lasted this long.

I've only watched the show two or three times, because I just couldn't take it, but the worst was always when he tried to interact with the audience and do some "off the cuff" jokes. I've never seen someone bomb so badly so quickly.

Sean Cullen is another Canadian who's been run through the Canuck TV wringer... the only difference is that he's actually funny! Cullen is very good at improv (his live shows are hilarious) and he'd be a perfect show host... so why do we end up with the unwatchable and cancelled after six episodes "Sean Cullen Show" instead?

And don't get me started on Rick Mercer's show "The Monday Report" - I thought Talking To Americans was funny, but everything else that Mercer seems to crank out is just ridiculously bad!

10. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

TV show wasnt that good , But he is wicked at stand up..