What's new

Migration Related Feedback & Questions (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My vote?

bullet%20hitting%20bottle%20of%20water%20gif.gif
:D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sorry guys, we put this in as a test to see if folks liked it. If you guys hate it - we'll probably put a bullet in it.

Thanks Dave. It's a decent enough idea in theory, but the notification boxes are way too big and, if you haven't visited the forum for a period of time, too many pop up. If you're looking for a vote...yeah, but a bullet in it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave. It's a decent enough idea in theory, but the notification boxes are way too big and, if you haven't visited the forum for a period of time, too many pop up. If you're looking for a vote...yeah, but a bullet in it.

Even if it's been a short period of time you've been away from the forum but if you are subscribed to a large number of threads, it can be really taxing.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sorry guys, we put this in as a test to see if folks liked it. If you guys hate it - we'll probably put a bullet in it.

It's what prompted me to check into this thread again. I could see the benefit of it, but like others have mentioned, if it has been a while or if you are subscribed to a lot of threads it becomes overwhelming. I use the new posts page as my main gateway and it kept getting covered up by notifications on the desktop and mobile. It was unsettling.

That said, while I was typing this reply, I got a pop-up notifying me of a reply in another thread. It was down at the bottom in gray area. And my first thought was, neat, I'll check that thread next.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The menu bar just below the HTF logo has changed function for me. All the selection reveal a drop down box when I hover the curser over it. All, but Forums. Nothing happens there and I have to click on it and I'm taken to Forums page. This is not how it worked when the new software was first installed. i prefer the drop downs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The menu bar just below the HTF logo has changed function for me. All the selection reveal a drop down box when I hover the curser over it. All, but Forums. Nothing happens there and I have to click on it and I'm taken to Forums page. This is not how it worked when the new software was first installed. i prefer the drop downs.

A different sort of "dropdown" has been added, Johnny.

Click on the "Forum List" in the top black bar of the forum. You'll get a "sidebar" of forum options. I believe this is still under review by the ownership.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's what prompted me to check into this thread again. I could see the benefit of it, but like others have mentioned, if it has been a while or if you are subscribed to a lot of threads it becomes overwhelming. I use the new posts page as my main gateway and it kept getting covered up by notifications on the desktop and mobile. It was unsettling.

That said, while I was typing this reply, I got a pop-up notifying me of a reply in another thread. It was down at the bottom in gray area. And my first thought was, neat, I'll check that thread next.
If you like to receive thread updates by email, that tends to reduce visits to the actual site, so the number of alerts tends to be high when you do visit and so the pop up feed winds up being quite an info blast. Kind of interesting to watch the behavior though. :3dglasses:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
If the board is going with the sliding sidebar for the Forum List, shouldn't the link in the minibar be first with New Posts second?

htf_minibar_01.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

A lot of us prefer the drop downs, but management seems to keep taking it away for reasons that are unexplained. We keep having to beg to get it back (and it hasn't worked so far this time). Not sure why the drop down is an either/or option. Why can't it exist in addition to the "forum list" option for those that want it?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A lot of us prefer the drop downs, but management seems to keep taking it away for reasons that are unexplained. We keep having to beg to get it back (and it hasn't worked so far this time). Not sure why the drop down is an either/or option. Why can't it exist in addition to the "forum list" option for those that want it?
Rest assured it's coming back. Sorry for the wait

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I've never been called "management" before :) I'm working to get the old forum menu restored (while keeping the new mobile friendly version). Please note it may take a day or two.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
When you mark a forum as "read" the entire page reloads. On the previous site this just changed the status of the threads without the reload. The entire page reloading makes it somewhat a pain to use, as well as wasting bandwidth. Is it possible for this to work as it did on the old site?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still trying to suss out the entire "alerts" thing.

You can set all the different things you want to be "alerted to" in your preferences and "alert preferences" sections. So, I get alerts whenever anyone does anything in any of the threads to which I'm subscribed (makes a post, attaches a file, etc.).

But as you guys noted, you can also get alerts for "likes", "quotes", etc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. I gotcha.

Um...I dunno! :wacko:

Now I'm trying to remember if I see it with a "0" or with no number when I've got no alerts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks