What's new

Migrating SCSI boot HD to IDE HD (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is there a painless way to migrate a SCSI boot HD to an IDE boot HD?

Say I am able to ghost the SCSI drive contents to an IDE HD, what can I do to get it to boot off the IDE HD instead? (this is because the SCSI HD is running out of room). OS would be Windows 2000.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
There should be something in the BIOS to set the boot order among Floppy, CD, IDE, and SCSI. Just change that so that IDE comes before SCSI.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, the SCSI HD would be retired if I can get the ghosted->migrated IDE HD to boot correctly. I'm doing this because SCSI HDs are expensive, and it'd be cheaper to get an IDE HD for the extra disk space that's needed for this PC. The PC was a hand-me-down that had a SCSI HD as its boot drive, but the user now needs more disk space.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to avoid having to reload applications (not sure where all the install CDs are nowadays), plus nothing last forever, and that SCSI HD has been in service for over 4 years.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What Ken said.. In my BIOS, I have the option of booting from Floppy, IDE device, SCSI card (and SCSI device of course)...

I have an Old SCSI-1 card and an almost-full Seagate SCSI drive and recently added an 120g IDE drive, but I'm still booting off the SCSI. However, I did look into converting to booting up from my IDE drive for a bit. Might go that route sometime down the line.

Jay

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, when you decide to get off the SCSI boot drive, you'll see that just changing the boot order won't be the solution, it's about the SCSI/IDE controllers that Windows "sees" when it boots up, and I'm trying to avoid the dreaded "Inaccessible Boot Device" error message in migrating the SCSI boot drive to an IDE boot drive, while preserving everything else on the original SCSI boot drive via a ghosted image on the IDE drive.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I got lucky as the SCSI boot HD had IDE drivers already installed, so after I ghosted the SCSI HD to an IDE HD, I disconnected the SCSI HD and the IDE HD booted up fine and dandy. Yay!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I was going to state that if the HD is a seagate it should of came with a disc that allows you to migrate your old HD over to it and to make it the boot drive. I didn't use it for mine because I don't want a single 160gb partition for maintenance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Those utilities are for like-for-like hard drive interface, but since it was going from SCSI to IDE, it could have presented a bigger problem.

Now my next challenge is to get a laptop HD (running XP) migrated into a different laptop and still have XP boot up normally. It hasn't been pretty, and it's still a work-in-progress so far.

Users who are viewing this thread