Might need a new DVD player - suggestions please

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob U, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Bob U

Bob U Stunt Coordinator

Hi folks,

Although my DVD player is maybe 4 years old now (Toshiba - forget which model) it has served well and performed as well as I could ask. Audio was excellent, which is a criteria for me. Last night, it would no longer load a disc and all discs show "disc error". So, it seems it is failing to focus. Might just need cleaning, but I will know more later today.

Assuming it is not worth repairing (which I don't know yet), I could use suggestions for a replacement. I have NOT kept up on new models at all.

My TV is an older Sony XBR Wega, so I can not use progressive now, but may upgrade in the not too distant future. Can I use a progressive now and prepare for the future?

Audio is VERY important to me. I'd like to be able to play CD-R's (which I can not now) and MUST be able to play HDCD. DVD-Audio and SACD would be desired as well, though I could forego SACD if I must. Bass managment in the player would be nice for the DVD-A and/OR SACD outs. 192 2 channel audio is another must.

Two disc transport (like my Tosh) would be nice, but not critical.

Anything I am missing in my requirements? And if not, what are a few of the best choices in a few different price points?

Appreciate your thoughts.

=-Bob=-

2. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well some of the older model Denon and newer models (9000/5900) are HDCD compatible. Yes you can use them in interlaced mode (until you get a progressive scan compatible TV). There seem to be less units supporting this CD audio format these days. Denon also provides universal players in the 5900, 2900 & 2200 models. Not sure of your budget either as it wasn't identified in your posting.

3. Bob U

Bob U Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Leo.

At least I now know that a progressive player is no problem with an interlaced TV for now.

Not sure of my budget either. As little as possible and no more than $500 at "a deal" I would think. If I am missing something major at this price point, I would wait. ANd AUDIo is at least as important as video for me, so bass management for the SACD / DVD-A is important as well as HDCD and the audio DAC quality.

My initial searching today says that DVD players have come waaaay down in price, but lack a lot of features. Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic sites don;t seem to offer anything compelling. Off to go look at Denon.

Definitely would like an easy to find new model, unless something recently discontinued and readily available makes sense. Anything else to look at?

4. Bob U

Bob U Stunt Coordinator

Well, turns out the bearing on the spindle motor went. Not too hard to fix. Except Toshiba doesn't sell spindle motors. They will only sell the entire head assembly at $168 which is out of the question to repair my SD3109.

So, unless someone has a broken Toshiba SD3109 I can pick and pull some parts out of, I need a new player.

I am amzed that so few now-a-days have HDCD and I really would like that, but it seems that may be the first feature I have to let go of. I also would like both SACD and DVD-A assuming good bass management built into the player as I have none for analog on my proc. If I had to, I could forgoe one or the other, but...

So, what might be my best choices to look at under $500 street including any discontinued models worth seeking?