Might have screwed up...:-(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary W. Graley, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

I fell into the HT scheme of things last year, pretty much into it, never had a surround sound system before, this is what I ended up with;
    Sony Receiver 840
    Sony DVD 560
    Klipsch speakers all the way around;
    RC3 for the center
    RF3 for the fronts
    SB1 for the rears
    KW12" for the sub
    didn't go for the widescreen monitor...yet, have a 27" Sony
    Now where I may have screwed up is that I traded in my older stereo system to get the new stuff, and sold my old Main speakers, DBX SoundField 100s, these were pretty good sounding speakers, for music, but when I used them for HT I thought they didn't match the Klipsch Center I had, so I sold them and picked up the RF3s...didn't do a direct comparison when I got the RF3s home, just pulled the old ones and put in the new, with new 12gauge speaker wire.
    Now to me, after living with these for about 5 months or more, probably about 9, I keep feeling like the SoundFields just Sounded better, more open, because of the way the internal speakers were placed. The RF3s sound ok but much more directional which is how they should be for HT but music I may be losing out. Buyers remorse? maybe, but the guy I sold the SoundFields to just snickers...[​IMG]
    A vent posting I guess, but a question as to what other speakers may be better more open sounding than the RF3s?
    Open to suggestions, I read that the SoundField type of speakers would not be as good for HT because of the too open spaceness of the sound, the source not coming from left and right when they should, but more spread out, so maybe I'm just going crazy!
    Any help is appreciated...
    G2
    oh and my wife just discovered that I have quite a few DVDs now in my collection, my daughter had her boyfriend over to watch a movie, I handed her a list to see what we had, keep it in a database, and she loudly commented that we have 115 movies!! nice...real nice...oh well!

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

There are people on this forum who are going to disagree with me highly on this point, but due to the nature of the horn tweeter, I feel Klipsch are much better suited for HT than for music IMO. Gary, if you want a very musical speaker that does very well for HT also, check out the Paradigm Reference line or maybe the PSB Image or Stratus line. Also check out Monitor Audio. I've heard great things from Linn, Dynaudio and Revel, but they are more expensive and more on the music side...giving away something to HT...not quite as dynamic..more laid back.

Take these with a grain of salt...just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in with their own thoughts.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I know that NHT makes a 'video tower' that has a switch for Music Mode and Vid Mode. Vid activates a seperate array of drivers on the rear, giving it a more diffuse soundfield.
    Honestly, I think you made a mistake. I would have kept the dbx's if possible to make a decision after the center was installed.
    http://nhthifi.com/home_productInfo.asp?ProductID=20
    My .02, sorry...
    - CM

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You might want to check out some speakers from Definitive Technology...at www.definitivetech.com . Good luck!

5. Gary W. Graley

Colin, I did have the Center for a while with the DBX's and that was what prompted me to go to the RF3s but I do miss the open space of the DBXs sound...bummer!

G2

I'll check those sites out!

G2

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Klipschs have a unique sound that some love, some hate. From the little I've heard them, I think they sound "alive", but maybe not the most accurate compared to others.

You have a killer HT setup, you could have done a lot worse. So, I wouldn't sweat it too much. But, if you really want to switch out the Klipsch, you'd be better off the switch at least the front 3 all at one time because it'll probably be pretty hard to match something non horn-loaded with something that is.

Check out Paradigm, Energy, B&W. These brands are very popular around here.

7. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]Count me in as someone who loves Klipsch. Maybe it's because the concerts and live music I hear are played out of horn tweeters, most movie theaters use horn tweeters (my favorite theater uses Klipsch), and I don't listen to alot of accoustic instruments. But to me Klipsch sound more real than anything.[/font]

8. Gary W. Graley

Thanks Guys, one of the things that lead me to the RF3s was this forum, when the HT bug bit me I went just a little crazy! But before I sunk the money into the RF3s I listened to music at the stereo store and the Punch the RF3s had was what made the decision for me, they seem tighter cleaner and more powerful to me and I was in a buying mood anyways...I'm hesistant to switch now as I started browsing around and it was all coming back to me, the headache of deciding!! so the best road right now is to just hang in there and use these until I can't really stand it, as I seem to use it much more for HT than music lately anyways....

G2

9. Gary W. Graley

Went out the last couple of days and started to remember what a trip it is to listen to good speakers, some of the stores were pretty nasty, one was mainly a car stereo store that was also breaking into home theater...but not too well! But I also listened to my RF3's with a lot of different music and find that they really do sound very good and will live with these nice speakers for a while longer! Good for me I think, but now I'm in a quandry, I have that urge, you know? the urge to buy something electronic...almost anything, maybe a nice desk stereo for work, have one that plays but is soso...there is some new Denon coming out I might have to check out...thanks fellas and happy listening to all of you!

G2

10. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Gary,
    Placement, placement, placement. Keep your speakers if you like their performance with music. Try to experiment with moving them from their current location. Make sure they are as far into the room as possible and try to at least get their front baffles well in front of the TV. Play around with toe-in as well as distance between them. Many times, small changes in placement can make big changes in the soundstage.You might be suprised at what your speakers can do.
    If you wanna buy something for your rig,pick up a SPL meter if you dont have one. That and a set-up disc like Avia or V.E. can dramaticly improve overall system performanc. As the fangs of the Audio upgrade beast sink deeper,we can talk about cables and power conditioners and sePARATES AND ISOLATION SYSTEMS AND DACS AND, AND......oops, got a little carried away[​IMG] Nevermind.