What's new

Might as well get the laughs with my first post - I like cheap HT! (1 Viewer)

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
Firstly, thanks for having me here! I have a love/hate relationship with ht forums, because while I've learned much from different discussion threads, I find that my hobby of collecting inexpensive gear is generally snubbed. Look, I don't have a dedicated home theater room - I have a den - that must be shared with my wife. I don't budget myself a lot for this habit, because I frequently like to change things up. I don't see the need to spend tons of cash for such a small space. However, I'm no noob. I've owned at least a dozen entry to mid-level receivers over the past 15 years from Pioneer, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, and Panasonic. There was even an RCA DD from Radio Shack, which I believe was manufactured on the Pioneer assembly line. There have been many cheap speakers as well! KLH, Polk, Jensen, Sony, Energy, Yamaha, JBL, Pioneer have all found a home in my theater at some point. There was even a set of Klipsch I spent too much on. I do enjoy finding sonic gems buried in the mass-produced-for-big-box-stores desert of consumer electronics. If you wanna discuss Anthem or Outlaw, I'm not your guy. But if you find a well-reviewed pair of bookshelf speakers for under $100, talk to me! My (modest) current setup consists of a Denon AVR-E300 receiver, powering some Bic America DV-32B for fronts and surrounds, with the DV-32CLR as center, with a JBL sub from the Leviton HTIB. I did have the Pioneer Andrew Jones series for front and center, but they just overwhelmed the room, so I dragged the Bics out of the garage, and they still sound pretty sweet.

NOW, I DO HAVE A QUESTION, FINALLY! Has anyone actually listened to the Micca speakers that have taken Amazon.com by storm? The MB42X in particular? Thinking of trying those out...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have seen, not heard, Micca.

Their construction is solid.

Think of them as a modern day Optimus/Radio Shack/RCA LX44.

Maybe "not" the LX44. The 44 might have the Linaeum. There is a version with a soft dome(I have a pair soft dome and two pairs Linaeum, one with, one without Kevlar).

Better than they should be(just like the LX).

I'm also not a cost snob.

I'm buying another pair of BIC V830 this weekend for $100. And tempted to buy a pair of V820(forget what else they come with) for $75.

The second house here has another room done. Needs AV.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I find that my hobby of collecting inexpensive gear is generally snubbed.

Welcome! And I think you'll find we're not that kind of forum. Being on a budget is not a problem around here; and most discussion is about the mid-tier "regular people" products - so you'll be good! The only things that get people mildly worked up is (1) obnoxiousness, and (2) insisting on paying a lot for poor equipment when better stuff is available at the same price (think Monster cable and Bose speakers).

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I love Micca speakers for what they are. They are a nice sounding budget speaker that I've been nothing but happy with. I say that because a lot of folks want to compare them to speakers that cost much more than they do. If you're happy with the DV32's then you'll probably be happy with the MB42x's except for the fact they are must less efficient. You will get much better low end extension...not that it will matter too much for you except you can lower the xover on your LFE a bit. I would say if you're curious about them give them a shot...everyone's ear is different. The worse thing that happens is you have a pair of speakers for the garage that cost you less than $100. Just make sure you get the X version with the real crossover in them. That's what sets them apart from the lower end Polk, Sony, and some other budget speakers. It really does make these guys sound good.

One another note welcome to the forum. I really understand where you're coming from about being on budget. I love finding good gear that is inexpensive too. You'll get no flack from me about it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, if this is a strictly 2.0 set up, if you have space, get the Sony SB1000 instead.

Just like "every other" tiny speaker out there, inefficiency is the key word(85db here).

The Sony is less than $10 more, twice as loud at the same volume(at least 3db more, but been a while) and a larger box(which accounts the higher efficiency) and a bit better bass extension.

But, if you want small...

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
I've actually owned the Sonys. Even had the previous version of the towers. I liked their sound, and for a small bookshelf, those had a decent fullness to them.
I may just wait on the Miccas.I'm listening to some classic Billy Joel on my Bic setup, and honestly don't find these little guys lacking. I would encourage anyone to try these out. Piano and acoustic guitar really shine through. Of course, all this stuff is subjective. I might just have terrible ears, after a couple of decades in radio! Haha!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I own both the Sony SS-B1000 and the Micca MB42x's and the Miccas win hands down IMO. The Sony's aren't bad speakers I just felt the Miccas sounded better despite being not as efficient. The DV32's are not bad but they just don't reach as low. Again the only way to know is to try them...

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
You're right about the Bics not going that low. But when dealing with any of these mentioned, a sub would be a necessity I'm sure. I will say the Sonys had a little thump to them for the size. I always liked the construction as well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think you will find too many snobs here, we have folks who buy craiglist gear and we have Jeremy Kipnis and his 6 million dollar theater and in between you will find people buy what they can afford that gives them the best bang for the buck. The sweet spot if you will.

I had a budget HT for 20 years, I can afford to buy new gear today and I do so when it makes sense. But I will never 'pick on' anyone for their choice of gear. I might tease em a bit if they are fan boys tho =)

Someone wise once said to me "It doesn't matter what kind of motorcycle you ride. What matters is what motorcycle -I- ride." Makes sense to me, having pride of ownership. Go over into blind fandom tho and you have lost what is cool about what makes you happy.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Defshep said:
So the Miccas are a little beefier than the DV32s? How would you compare the highs?

They both do a great job with the highs but I still like the Micca's better. Now if you're going to for straight volume the BIC's win the day hands down. Again this is very subjective and I have my preferences to what I think sounds good. I like the Micca's better than the Pioneer BS-21/22s for the mids and highs...the Pio's kill them on the low end. I'm floored at what AJ/Pioneer can do with a 4" driver...so if you're looking for just one pair the Pioneers will win because they have a more full range sound. However, overall sound I like the Micca's better especially when you pair them with a sub. Acoustic/jazz/classical the Miccas are just awesome...YMMV

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
The Miccas are definitely more attractive. You're right about those Pioneers. They would be perfect if the highs didn't roll off so much. Still ridiculous for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks