Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Rick thank you for a thoughtful pan. Well done. I appreciate that so much more than a throwaway "It was lousy". Colin is welcome to his opinion but stated the way it was makes me less likely to take his input seriously on stuff in the future. I liked Midway despite its faults. others here obviously did too. Shitting in the thread where admiration has been shared makes it seem like that post was designed to egg us on rather than express a solid opinion. Your post shows the way to disagree with class, and the receipts to back it up. I have no idea if your 'facts' are right, I will leave that to the experts. But I respect your take.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Imo Midway gets way more right than it gets wrong. To me Ricks #2 is minor and #3 issue is just a personal preference. #1 I’m interested in researching further but even if true I can forgive the film since it’s so enjoyable to me.
Ymmv of course. :)

Reactions: Sam Posten

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Rick thank you for a thoughtful pan. Well done. I appreciate that so much more than a throwaway "It was lousy". Colin is welcome to his opinion but stated the way it was makes me less likely to take his input seriously on stuff in the future.
If you'd like, I'd be happy to post my full reviews of movies, but then I'd get accused of spamming the HTF.

Rather than deal with accusations of blatant self-promotion, I left it short and succinct.

And I also discussed my thoughts about "Midway" in detail when we went over the film during its theatrical run.

So my more detailed opinion is and has been out there for all to see. Do you really want me to cut and paste and repeat those opinions every time the subject comes up?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to give Midway a shot.

The 4k has just dropped to $9.99 on Amazon. I figure...it's worth a chance! :D
They also have the "Knives Out" 4K for $9.99 so I took the plunge.

Lionsgate treats my site in mysterious ways - I get some of their stuff and not other titles. They sent the 4K for "Midway" but I didn't get nuttin' for "Knives Out"!

I like "KO" enough I'll drop the $10 to own the 4K!

$10 is my "4K sweet spot"! :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They also have the "Knives Out" 4K for $9.99 so I took the plunge.

Lionsgate treats my site in mysterious ways - I get some of their stuff and not other titles. They sent the 4K for "Midway" but I didn't get nuttin' for "Knives Out"!

I like "KO" enough I'll drop the $10 to own the 4K!

$10 is my "4K sweet spot"! :D
I wouldn’t think you’d run across that sweet spot very often. I’d wager a guess that most $10 4K’s Are bad movies. However, KO 4K for $10 is a steal. Midway we own, forget what I paid. It’s entertaining but not what I’d consider a good ware movie, it’s one of the lesser efforts.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
The interesting thing is that this flick, apparently, is one of the more historically accurate films when it comes to a Hollywood telling of the story.

Reactions: Darby67 and Tino

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn’t think you’d run across that sweet spot very often. I’d wager a guess that most $10 4K’s Are bad movies. However, KO 4K for $10 is a steal. Midway we own, forget what I paid. It’s entertaining but not what I’d consider a good ware movie, it’s one of the lesser efforts.
It's not uncommon for Lionsgate 4Ks to come down to $10.

Also, with holiday sales on the horizon, I expect a bunch of $10 - or even less - 4Ks at Amazon and Best Buy in the coming weeks...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The interesting thing is that this flick, apparently, is one of the more historically accurate films when it comes to a Hollywood telling of the story.
My recollection (which I don’t always trust) is that in the review on this forum, several historical errors are pointed out.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
My recollection (which I don’t always trust) is that in the review on this forum, several historical errors are pointed out.
Like any Hollywood film, liberties will be taken to move the story. For example, creating a fictional character that is a composite of several real people. I believe this film has one of those, but I cannot recall offhand which main character it was. The interesting thing is that the film contains several story points which sound like pure Hollywood invention but actually happened.

Reactions: Tino

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco